Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jul 17 06 4:20 AM

Yeah I fed mine tomatos almost every day - like two wedges, among all the other veg stuff they got. But they loooove tomato, and even though they got only a little everyday - it still built up into a cut/sore in the corner of their mouths.

I have read on lots of other forums piggy related - that tomato, due to its acidity does that.

Gosh I feel like fruit now - that pic looks soooo yummy!!! hehe

We have enslaved animals and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Annabelle

#23 [url]

Jul 17 06 4:37 AM

My piggies loooove tomato, although they only get it once a week or not even, i was worried about the acidity, same with oranges i haven't tried them cause i thought they'd be too acidic for their little tummies. Again, worry wart! Are apples acidic??

..Annabelle..
*As we dig our toes deeper into the earth and take conscious steps to care for our planet, our friends and ourselves, our inner light will shine *

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jul 17 06 4:40 AM

Yes but no where near tomatos I reckon. My poor piggies are on a tomato ban atm LOL

Ill kill my partner if he comes home from the fruit/veg shopping with a bag of tomatos inclusive. lol

Geesh, I really really cant wait to have our car back so I can get out to lawnton and all these other great produce places for fruit/veg

Do you know today I spent $25 in the supermarket, all i got was - butterlettuce, carrots, cucumber, spinach leaves and dill

We have enslaved animals and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jul 17 06 4:44 AM

I would believe that! There is a great fruit shop near my place called charlies. Really cheap and good quality. Everyday they have a bargin bin where nothing is over $2 all great stuff too...i eat it myself LOL!

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jul 17 06 4:46 AM

Where is charlies Kirsten?

Quote    Reply   

PansyGirl

#27 [url]

Jul 17 06 4:46 AM

About apples and tomatoes...

I read somewhere ages ago (probably on Cavy Cages) that you can avoid the mouth sores if you cut these things up into small pieces. I cut up most of the girls fruit and veg.

Does anyone else do things like arrange their fruit and veges in a dish to look nice? Or am I just a freak with too much spare time...?

Jeni

ps. Charlie's is brilliant!

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jul 17 06 4:48 AM

Hmm I cut the tomato up into small wedges. So you have a whole tomato - it gets cut into about 6-8 pieces. Should I try scooping out the seeds? Would these be the culprit part?

I make a salad dish arrangement for mine

Quote    Reply   

Annabelle

#29 [url]

Jul 17 06 4:50 AM

Hahahahaha jeni, i'm a freak with you! I try to make sure there are different coloured veggies so it looks appealing to them and i cut it all up so it's easier to eat! Hmm i bet they don't even notice They end up burrying a lot of their food in the hysorb!
Holly - Charlies is on South Pine Rd at Everton Park, just behind the huge Blockbuster and underneath the Gym, it's awesome i'm going there tonight to stock up!

..Annabelle..
*As we dig our toes deeper into the earth and take conscious steps to care for our planet, our friends and ourselves, our inner light will shine *

Quote    Reply   

PansyGirl

#30 [url]

Jul 17 06 4:57 AM

Annabelle, but we're also Virgos

Holly, I meant little pieces about a centimetre squared I wouldn't have necessarily thought the seeds would be a problem.

Should we be creating a new thread for this discussion? I'm getting paranoid about going off on tangents! I've been the offender a few times of late

Jeni

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jul 17 06 5:02 AM

New post made - same section health/medical.

Sorry Jess

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Aug 16 06 6:06 AM

HI Guys,

Well not sure if they're bargains or not lol but I need a bigger fridge so am on the hunt yet again....
I found one local it's not to expensive so might try get it...ahh how sad...one fridge isn't enough for the pigs...

Country Markets

All up I spent $47 my limit was $45.00 but what the heck lol...My original limit each time i go is $30 but with the extra pigs it's an extra $15 just as I thought which is no biggy...

Sadly the 2 x 20kg bags of carrots don't fit in the fridge....I got 40kg of carrots today lol.
Guess how much each bag of $20.00 was....$5.00!!!

- 3 bags of 3 capsicums ( plus one other bag i had spare from last time ).
- 3 celery
- 6 cucumbers
- 3 honeydew melons
- 3 bags of 1kg tomatoes
- 3 womboks
- 40kg carrots
- 2kg apples
- 2Litres of Sarsparilla ( for Jess to drink to keep her sanity )

And this will last....well knowing my luck probably 3-4 days max.

Jess

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Aug 16 06 6:39 AM

That would last 3days in my house and I have 13 here!!!!!!!!! LOL

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Aug 16 06 6:51 AM

Well not the carrot bit hehe

I spend about $50-80 on fruit n veg a week easy!! hehe

You get a great bargain!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks sooo yum, making me hungry!! hehe

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Aug 16 06 6:57 AM

Yeah its an absolute blessing having them just down the road....Really need to get that second fridge because I can only buy an amount of veg that'll fill the fridge lol....We already have little nats hanging around \\\" people \\\" food here and I know they'd have a ball with the pigs food...really annoying that I can't refridgerate the carrots because they'll only last a few days without refridgeration mind you they are eaten within a few days anyhow.....will try get that other fridge asap before summer...OR sell this one and purchase a 420l or larger...

Yeah Hol your pigs eat tonnes lol...I'm so glad these guys will eat carrots because my pocket would be empty if i had to purchase just other veg and no bulk carrots...mind you the carrots don't have sufficient amount of vitamin C so I try not to overfeed and I always buy capsicum to make up for extra vit c the pigs love capsicum aswell which is another blessing in that regard lol....Am gonna go get some silverbeet/beans and possibly broccoli in the next few days..it's just a bugger because I have to buy things you can cut up into pieces for the pigs and can't cut brocolli and corn the way these guys need it cut....

Jess

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Aug 16 06 7:01 AM

Yeah broccoli is a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I found this broccoli that is in loooong stalks, not broccolini, another kind. Its great!!

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Aug 16 06 7:23 AM

Jess I hav an old bar fridge sitting in my laundry, it used to be the daycare fridge, but I have now a large day care/piggie fridge. It would certainly hold a 20kg bag of carrots! I will see if I can get it into my car and it is yours.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Aug 16 06 9:30 AM

omg katt...you know you're a walking angel...

Jess

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help