Remove this ad

#261 [url]

Sep 16 10 6:08 AM

My garden's completely bare at the moment, aside from a massive aloe vera collection and various bits and things that have not died as I haven't been able to tend to it. I'm afraid your poor piggies will only have the masses of grass that I have left uncut. It's a good thing the neighbours can't see that bit of the yard.

I've seen possums determined to get at some fruits and vegetables. They're like little terminators. They don't stop at anything, and their eyes even glow red. They're almost like giant tree rats, aren't they? They're lucky they have big eyes and look cute. Silly me, I still can't just drive by when I see one lying by the side of the road even though it's never good news the next morning.

I can handle growing a few tomatoes and I'm going to do just that.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Cadbury123

#262 [url]

Sep 21 10 8:05 AM

Just thought everyone in the Strathpine area would like to know that the new fruit barn at westfields ( at the coles end) has fancy lettuce for 25c each. I just bought 6.

Donna. :)

Quote    Reply   

Cadbury123

#264 [url]

Oct 22 10 7:16 PM

There is a new cheap fruit shop in town, Strathpine, Westfields. it always has more than 1 thing at a time on special, yesterday celery was 19c each and Mangoes (not for the pigs) were 79c each. I go here about 3 times a week just to see what is cheap. My piggy fridge is now always full.

Quote    Reply   

#265 [url]

Dec 15 10 11:06 PM

I saw at that shop the other day red caps for 39c/kg!

April :)
4 girl piggies- Mary, Stella, Peggy & Sasha
RIP my little darlings Daphne & Lucy :( May there be lots of foods in piggie heaven.
7 mice- Caramel, Chocolate, Lamington, Butterscotch, Creamie & Jaffa & Patches
2 ratties- Sunflower & Lilly

Quote    Reply   

#266 [url]

Dec 15 10 11:10 PM

39c !!! I went to rocklea markets and bought a few kg for $1.50/kg of caps and I thought that was cheap. Also got cos lettuce for 50c

and for me stone fruit at $2kg...yum!

Boo & The Piggy St Massive

Quote    Reply   

#267 [url]

Dec 16 10 12:32 AM

Lol im pretty sure that was the cost

RIP my little darlings Daphne & Lucy :( May there be lots of foods in piggie heaven.

Quote    Reply   

#268 [url]

Dec 16 10 2:57 AM

my god thats cheap, the market where i buy them is currently the cheapest at 7.99kg for red caps

Bonnie, mum to
~many beautiful rescued piggies,dogs,cats and ratties~

Quote    Reply   

#269 [url]

Jan 17 11 9:14 PM

I picked up some lettuce mix from Aldi (Kippa-Ring) for 99c each. The pile of lettuce boxes was taller than me. Every fruit shop I've seen lately is filled to the brim.

Quote    Reply   

#270 [url]

Jan 17 11 9:54 PM

oh i saw those in their catalouge lol i want some!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#271 [url]

Jan 17 11 10:40 PM

I normally spend about $35 per week on veggies. This week, I went to the fruit shop and it cost $62!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cauliflower was $8. Everything was so expensive due to the floods?? Some things were double like the cauliflower and silly me, I bought grapes. I didn't look at the price because I just grabbed them on impulse as I was paying. They probably cost me at least $10. Big mistake.

Quote    Reply   

#272 [url]

Jan 18 11 8:47 AM

Lol what fruit shop? Im normally bout $10-$15/week but i just buy stuff as it goes lol im easy oh and i only have 3 piggies.

Quote    Reply   

#273 [url]

Jan 18 11 10:28 AM

Im seriously not happy about veg price rises, i thought because of our location coles and safeway would be affected (as they source australia wide)but apparently even our local sourced market veg is too because we have supplys being sent up to queensland (no offence to anyone at all, i understand queenslanders need it more than us right now)
When i did my shop last week they had already increased prices and my bill came in seriously high and according to the local paper its due to get higher, my weekly veg bill is $120 per week as it is so not looking forward to spending close to $200 every week

have heard about a market that runs once a month that is very cheap, i will trial it this week but im nervous about where the food comes from, im very nervous about new products that my piggies consume, will report prices on saturday.

Bonnie, mum to
~many beautiful rescued piggies,dogs,cats and ratties~

Quote    Reply   

#274 [url]

Jan 18 11 11:13 PM

Cavyluver wrote:
Lol what fruit shop? Im normally bout $10-$15/week but i just buy stuff as it goes lol im easy oh and i only have 3 piggies.

I usually just buy them from the fruit shop at McDowall Village because they are usually okay. Charlies at Everton Park is cheaper but I hate the car park so much that I avoid going there. I think I will have to go there from now on because they do have good specials. Does anyone else go the Charlies?

Not as good as that Strathpine fruit and veg shop! Those specials sound amazing. I wonder if it is worth the drive - 15 minutes?

Quote    Reply   

#275 [url]

Jan 18 11 11:34 PM

I planted veges yesterday as both the markets I go to went under water. Fruit and veg is extortionate and will continue to rise. I went to the local fruit barn and they gave me lettuce scraps and carrots. There were quite a few red oak lettuces in there. He's said he'll give me boxes every second week so I'll be taking them to the shelter.
My pigs are so fat they need a diet anyway!

Quote    Reply   

#276 [url]

Jan 18 11 11:38 PM

They have a bin near lettuces at one of the fruit shops I go to where people can pull off the outer leaves of their cos and iceberg lettuces, and the husks off corn.

I wonder if a fruit shop will let a volunteer have those things for free, or even if we could help say chop some of the top off celeries (however you spell 'em) and take them home. It shouldn't take long to fill a bin.

Would the outer leaves of lettuces have more pesticide on them?

Or maybe a fruit shop or food preparation company will have extra vegetables that they can donate?

Oh, snap. Your local fruit shop does this already. m.boo.

Quote    Reply   

#277 [url]

Jan 19 11 2:20 AM

I always go to the markets and ask for corn husks and outer lettuce leaves. They love me for taking them.
West End markets opens this weekend and all fees are donated to the Flood appeal.

Check with your local Vege shop as they will often put things aside on a particular day for you.

Quote    Reply   

PansyGirl

#278 [url]

Jan 19 11 6:04 AM

Piggies4 wrote:
Does anyone else go the Charlies?

I do Yes, the carpark is a pain in the proverbial (unless you get there at 7:00am - which I've started doing), but I simply can't afford to buy these things from the supermarket. The savings are definitely worth it, Madelene.

Jeni

“Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength” - St Francis de Sales

Quote    Reply   

Cadbury123

#280 [url]

May 25 11 9:17 AM

I got some great bargins today from the fruit shop in westfields strathpine.

Capsicums and Leb cucumbers $1 a bag and good size bags too.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help