Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Apr 8 08 2:44 AM

i just found a fantastic article

http://www.furandfeather.co.uk/pdf/feeding_adult_guineapig_new.pdf

I think it's just very important to make sure that if a grain mix is being fed that it dosn't contain an inverse phosphorus/calcium ratio and if it does that it's very very low and also that it's still high in fibre....the mix i mix here has alot more ' green ' in it that grains the fibre percentage is higher than the protein content. I do this for many reasons most from what's stated in this article...not only the mix but the mix isn't the main part of a piggies diet i think it's big to stress this...their veg and hay is higher than the grain mix the hay in particular....personally for me I've actually never had a bladder stone problem in any pigs and this is probably more than 1000 pigs to date I've also never found any digestive upset problems and have never had obese pigs. Most of my pigs weights range between 1.1kg to 1.4kg most around the 1.2 kg mark....

jess

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#25 [url]

Aug 14 08 6:13 AM

My biggest problem is finding the best food for them. We live in a rural part of North QLD, and the Pet stores and Vet Clinics here pretty much only cater to Dogs/ Cats etc. My vet had to make a phone call to find out what I should be feeding them, and what to do about Mange Mites....Scary huh! Hope they don't get sick, or we might be in trouble.
Where on earth do you find good quality Pellets. I have found Oxbow on Ebay, but the postage nearly doubles the cost. I purchase in bulk in case they ran out. I have also not been able to find Timothy Hay, so have been using Oaten Hay from my local Stockfeed place. My Piggies get moved daily to feed on the grass in our back lawn, and get a good mix of Veg and Fruit. Is Oaten O.k?

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Aug 14 08 6:21 AM

Hi there,

I put my piggies on the grass too as well as vege and little fruit with a pig mix from a produce store. I would have thought a produce store could at least order some in for you. I purchase my pellet mix with the chaffe etc from a produce store.
I know what you mean about the Oxbow, far too expensive for you. I have never heard of Oaten Hay, if it's like a regular hay, I would assume it can't be harmful, but that's a question for Alina or Jess.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Aug 14 08 6:59 AM

I think oaten is similar to Lucerne. Not sure. I asked around, but no-one around here really takes Guinea Pigs seriously. I usually get the same response from everyone....AAh just chuck em on the back lawn, and give em some lettuce and carrots.
Anyone know if Oaten is o.k. They aren't really eating much of it. I have used it mixed with Back to Nature bedding as a nice comfy sleeping area for them, and then they can get down a ramp to the bottom feeding area.
I also have a problem with my little boy, who doesn't seem to be able to see out of his right eye. He has been checked by my vet who says he can't see anything wrong with it, but he definately is not seeing as well as the others, because he is too scared to go up the ramp to bed, so I have had to buy him an igloo for the downstairs area.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Aug 14 08 7:20 AM

I am looking at getting a bale of Oaten hay this week, the produce guy told me that Oaten and barley hay are very similar - and yes guinea pigs do like it - I havent bought it before as I regularly get grassy hay - another cheap option for you too.
If ever I get in a new piggy that hasnt had grassy hay before they either take a while to suss it out or pig out straight away - all of mine love it and eat an unlimited amount daily..
With regards to your piggy - does he just not like ramps? I have heaps of pigs that dont like ramps - and will never use them...I find that all of my boys wont and that most of my girls love ramps and anything they can jump on..... if his eye apparently is ok then maybe you have a piggy who just doesnt 'do' ramps??

Alina

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Aug 14 08 7:56 AM

Oh,
I never knew about that...maybe he just doesn't like ramps. I sometimes think his right eye looks a bit strange, and he tilts his head when he looks from that side, so don't know. He will go down the ramp (very slowly) if placed on it, but will never attempt to go up it, even if he is following closely behind the girls. It's hard thought because it has been very cold here of late and I get worried about him not being able to snuggle up with the others even though he has an igloo downstairs. Someone told me that Abysinians (don't know if that is spelt correctly) are prone to eye problems, and that's what he is. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Aug 14 08 8:08 AM

I havent heard anything about aby's and eye problems but maybe it is an ear infection if he has a head tilt?
Also - are you housing males and females together?
Alina

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Aug 15 08 7:51 AM

One thing you could do is ask your vet to supply the oxbow products. This way you will save on postage and they will get profit because you are buying it from them.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Feb 14 09 1:01 AM

Hi Ash I see your in WA - I'm in the northern suburbs near Hillarys. Do you know the best place to buy the food for the Guinea pigs - I’m new to owning them and I have just been to the local pet shop for feed and hay (don't know what type of hay as they girl said "it's hay" Umm).

Looking at all these comment on the site about feeding this and that it get a little confusing so I’m feeding a guinea pig mix mainly for them to have food in there all the time if they want it but twice a day they are getting a good big handful of mixed veg & fruit. I try and vary it as much as possible so I’m sure this is fine. Plus their daily outings on the grass.
They have hay in their 'bedroom' He! area and pine shaving also from pet shop for the 'Lounge' He! (Must say I think my hubbys getting jealous as they are getting all the attention form the kid and I)

Sorry one more question Teeth!!! Should all this be fine for their teeth, they have the coloured log thing you can buy and toilet roll which I read someone puts in but they do not chew them - they are only 7 weeks old and still getting to know us.

Quote    Reply   

pigsforlife

#34 [url]

Feb 14 09 6:27 AM

Hi Sue,

I buy Oxbows pellets from the piggy vet in Booragoon. Pellets are not for everyone, and they are quite pricey. A bag costs $24.20 and between 5 pigs last 3-4 weeks giving them 1/8th of a cup each a day. They also sell bags of chaff (finally chopped hay, without any seeds or added bits and pieces). They are quite small bags and cost $5. I am going to ring them up and see if they will give me some bigger bags as it would probably work out more cost effective.

Anyway, most people feed a pellet based diet or a grain mix based diet or a combination of the two. Personally I don't like the grains. So I choose to feed a pellet based diet and supplement that with the chaff. You can make up your own grain mix and there is a thread on that which I will find for you in a minute. Petstore grain mixes can be a bit iffy, they don't always have an ingredient list so half the time you don't know what is in it. I did feed a grain mix diet awhile back, and I purchased them from City Farmers. I always looked for the bags with more chaff then seeds.

If you are going to go down the route of making up your own grain mix, which would work out cheaper in the long run but can be confusing to get together, I would suggest looking into some feedstores. I go to Oakford Feedstore down near Armadale (a long trip!) to buy a bale of hay every month. They have quite the range there; wheaten, oaten and meadow hay. They also have bags of lupins and other grains that you can use (mainly sold for horses).

So far what you are feeding them sounds pretty good. With the hay I would probably suggest City Farmers if you only have a couple of pigs. They sells bags of oaten hay that should last 2-3 weeks maybe. Otherwise a nice bale of hay can be purchased from a feedstore as I mentioned before. Make sure that they always have hay as well, that is very important. The long strands help file down their back teeth and help with their digestive system. As long as they have plenty of hay they should be fine teeth wise.

Just to summarise in case I have completely lost you!
- Hay is the most important, the greener the better but this time of year it is hard to find anything green. Look for a grassy hay like oaten, wheaten, meadow, pasture etc
- Veggies are also essential, they provide vitamin c amongst other things. For your little bubs veggies high in calcium are good, carrots for example. Once they hit 6 months ease up on the calcium. The more variety you offer the better.
- Pellets/Grain mix. Probably the most confusing bit. A good quality pellet would be Oxbows Cavy Cuisine which is the one you can get from the piggy vet in Booragoon. Otherwise it is a grain mix, which you can make up or purchase from somewhere like City Farmers.

Buttercup - March 2007 - August 2008
Toffee - June 2007 - December 2010

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

pigsforlife

#35 [url]

Feb 14 09 6:30 AM

http://acs.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=9138

And

http://acs.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=8901

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Sep 8 10 12:50 PM

Glad to have some dietry questions answered, thanx guys. I was woried my girls don't get enuf vot C, but with heaps of freash fruit and veg, it sounds like they're fine. My girls NEVER eat the pellets, I dunno why, but they eat everything else in the mix, so u know, they're fussy maybe.

Danielle, Pepi Chino Le Phew. RIP My Beverly and Lady Sarah

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Sep 12 10 12:33 PM

My girls NEVER eat the pellets

This seems to be fairly common - pigs not eating the pellets in their grain mix. Two of my newish adoptees didn't eat much when they came to me (health problems were ruled out - they were just scared to death) so I let them continue eating their familair, lowish quality grain mix that they were used to. They left the pellets behind. Now, though, they're on oxbow cavy cuisine and they gorge themselves on it.

My point is, that just because your pigs don't eat the pellets in their grain mix, that doesn't mean that they won't eat a high quality pellet.

Quote    Reply   

pigsforlife

#39 [url]

Sep 12 10 1:25 PM

Kat wrote:
My girls NEVER eat the pellets

This seems to be fairly common - pigs not eating the pellets in their grain mix. Two of my newish adoptees didn't eat much when they came to me (health problems were ruled out - they were just scared to death) so I let them continue eating their familair, lowish quality grain mix that they were used to. They left the pellets behind. Now, though, they're on oxbow cavy cuisine and they gorge themselves on it.

My point is, that just because your pigs don't eat the pellets in their grain mix, that doesn't mean that they won't eat a high quality pellet.

Also if you give them a choice of grain or pellets they may at first go for the grain. It is like giving a kid a choice between a lollipop and a carrot - most will go for the lollipop (or grain in this case). In almost all cases, once they are used to a high quality pellet like Oxbow; they will go absolutely bonkers for it!

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Sep 13 10 12:03 PM

Thanx for the info, it's good not to be concerned by it, as I expected, all piggys are different and like different things.

Danielle, Pepi Chino Le Phew. RIP My Beverly and Lady Sarah

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help