Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 12 07 9:39 PM

Tags : :

i thought i would post this information so you can check you guinea pig is fit and healthy!

Guinea Pig Health check

First stroke your cavy from head to rear with your hands looking for any lumps or bumps or pimples. Next stroke around the eyes and nose and then behind the ears again looking for anything unusual. Look at the eyes for any discolouration.

Check the nostrils for any discharge.

Check around the mouth for sores. Look at the teeth to see that wear and growth are even.

Then stroke your cavy's throat and down the chest, sometimes abscesses can develop here. Next feel just behind piggies’ front legs (armpits) for any swelling, any swelling of the glands here usually means there's some sort of infection present.

If you have not got big enough hands for the next bit get someone to help you who has. Sit your cavy up so his hind feet still sit on you knee, bench, table or what ever you have him on, and stroke the belly looking for pimples, baldness or anything out of the ordinary, don't forget the insides of the hind legs. Feel the area around the nipples for any swelling (this goes for boars as well) He will have a naval in the middle of his belly above his nipples. Check around genitals for discharge, dampness and smell.

Put him back the right way on his feet, now use your index finger start at the rump and draw your finger through his coat towards his head so you can see down the hair shafts to the skin, look for dandruff, things that move, anything stuck to the hair shafts, sores, cuts or wounds. If you have an Aby or a long hair look thoroughly through the coat parting it so you can see down to the skin.

Finally give piggy a good brush or comb with what ever you generally use and check is there is any looseness of coat and more than average hair loss. Piggies generally love this attention and it gives you very good social contact with your cavies, you will probably find they join in and wash you while you are doing your weekly health check.

If you find anything you are concerned about, contact your vet.

Hhope this information helps you. All the best jamie xx
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Dec 12 07 11:44 PM

Yeah as i was reading it i was thinking this should be made into a sticky also .. Thats a great piggy once over step by step instruction guide.. WOOT clap ^^

image ~*Una*~ image image

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 20 08 12:36 PM

This is excellent,
Thank you.
I have copied and printed. Gee, hope that was OK to copy your work. Please please.
It is easier to give a printed version for people to look at when they get home rather than them trying to remember everything on the day they pick up a welfare piggy, come for a groom, ring for enquiries or boarding their baby.
People ask so many questions. I am trying to have copies of info printed rather than running to print something all the time.
I do give people the site address and the guinea lynx address but I like to 'make sure they have stuff' to take.
Thanks again.
Sharon-Lee :-)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Sep 8 10 12:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. I do this almost intuitively, and my girls have always been healthy (touch wood). Someone told me also, that if their eyes are droopy, or flat looking, they're dehydrated.

Danielle, Pepi Chino Le Phew. RIP My Beverly and Lady Sarah

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Nov 27 10 12:44 AM

Re: Guinea pigs weekly health check!

peterson wrote:
i thought i would post this information so you can check you guinea pig is fit and healthy!

Guinea Pig Health check

First stroke your cavy from head to rear with your hands looking for any lumps or bumps or pimples. Next stroke around the eyes and nose and then behind the ears again looking for anything unusual. Look at the eyes for any discolouration.

Check the nostrils for any discharge.

Check around the mouth for sores. Look at the teeth to see that wear and growth are even.

Then stroke your cavy's throat and down the chest, sometimes abscesses can develop here. Next feel just behind piggies’ front legs (armpits) for any swelling, any swelling of the glands here usually means there's some sort of infection present.

If you have not got big enough hands for the next bit get someone to help you who has. Sit your cavy up so his hind feet still sit on you knee, bench, table or what ever you have him on, and stroke the belly looking for pimples, baldness or anything out of the ordinary, don't forget the insides of the hind legs. Feel the area around the nipples for any swelling (this goes for boars as well) He will have a naval in the middle of his belly above his nipples. Check around genitals for discharge, dampness and smell.

Put him back the right way on his feet, now use your index finger start at the rump and draw your finger through his coat towards his head so you can see down the hair shafts to the skin, look for dandruff, things that move, anything stuck to the hair shafts, sores, cuts or wounds. If you have an Aby or a long hair look thoroughly through the coat parting it so you can see down to the skin.

Finally give piggy a good brush or comb with what ever you generally use and check is there is any looseness of coat and more than average hair loss. Piggies generally love this attention and it gives you very good social contact with your cavies, you will probably find they join in and wash you while you are doing your weekly health check.

If you find anything you are concerned about, contact your vet.

Hhope this information helps you. All the best jamie xx

Hey Jamie.

I want to thank you for what you have provided, I will do these things this afternoon, my big boy (Demetri) has just been treated for mange/mites and has just had an application of Revolution.

He is still scratching a little bit, is this normal or should I be concerned that there is something else wrong? I applied Revolution to Benji (small cavy) and he isnt scratching at all, Demetri was the one that really was effected, it is no way as bad as it was, will it take a little while longer for revolution to take its full effects or if you think that there might be something else what should i do?

I must commend you on your extensive health check post, there is no price you can put on the information that you have said to do, once again, A big thank you from me and my piggies!

Julz

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 27 10 12:58 AM

Hey Sharon.

I fully agree with you, My brain is only capable of handling so much information then just things seem to slip out and I miss out on doing something so vital that needed to be done, so the more that can be handed out as hard copies the better it is for us piggie people to better care for our loved ones.

I have a shocking memory for holding information in just in general so the more papers the more you can put up around your cavy area the better you are at caring for your special boys and girls and the better they are that they can rely on you giving them the best care and attention.

Julz

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 21 11 9:24 PM

Thank you this is great INFO for a newbie like me.. Thanks again

Hi .. I am a newbie GP owner and I thought I would join this forum to learn and educate myself all about Guinea Pigs.. I feel like a school girl I am smitten with our new Guinea Pigs.. Sooooo cute but so,so vulnerable.. they just nedd such protection and care and i believe people just don't have any idea about this..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help