Remove this ad

chuffnut

#41 [url]

Sep 25 11 4:24 AM

IN answer:

Sunflowers aswell as the leaves and stems – NO, sunflower plants and leaves can accumulate toxins so shouldn’t be fed to the pigs. Sunflower seeds are very high in bad fats, so the flower heads shouldn’t be fed, and a few seeds should noly be fed sparingly, if at all!

stems on lettuces – I wouldn’t. In small amounts it may be ok, but alkaloids can accumulate in lettuce stems, so I’d leave old stems off the piggers diets.

leaves of sweetcorn – YES best food ever. Piggers love the leaves AND the stems make great chew toys!

strawberry leaves, plus green part of the actual strawberry – Leaves – NO. Note this info: “Strawberry leaves experience a toxic chemical change while drying that makes them poisonous when partially dry or wilted. This is not lethal but will cause uncomfortable nausea and vomiting.” So, yeh, I’d not feed the leaves due to this, particularly since piggers can’t vomit! But the calyx (green part on the strawberry),, this would be ok as its so tiny it wouldn’t matter.
dandelion flowers –YES, all good tucker.

capsicum leaves – NO, shouldn’t feed the leaves of any plant from the Solanaceae family (potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum etc) as these often contain alkaloids that can be toxic. The tiny stem bit on the capsicum shouldn’t be a problem, its so small anyway.

bokchoi (plus another asian leafy greens but leaves are bad or good) the yellow flowers that come out of thetop aswell as the tops of lettuces when they are allowed too grow ontop of each other (???) - all parts of the Bok Choi and other asian vegetables, including the flowers, are fine for piggers.

asparragus leaves – Yes, but NOT the berries that form after the plant flowers – these are toxic!

and carrot leaves? - Yes, excellent tucker, but high in calcium so not everyday...

pennyroyal - with care, may be useable. TO quote some info I found: "The essential oil of pennyroyal is used in aromatherapy, and is also high in pulegone, a highly toxic volatile organic compound affecting liver and uterine function" - so, yeh, only in small amounts.

"Chili plants and anything hot leaves wise?" NO to the leaves – same as for capsicum - not the leaves/plants of anything that belongs to the Solanaceae family (tomatos, potatos, eggplant, capsicum)

beans – raw beans are not the best food for pigs and NEVER feed the leaves of the plant or the flowers. These can be toxic.
and cucumbers and leaves – all cucumbers are fine but NOT the leaves.

Should I be staying away from any fruit trees in particular? DON’T feed pigs any branches from plum trees or other stonefruits (apricots, nectarines, peaches). These can be toxic. Only feed them apple tree branches (and maybe pear tree)

I know Lynlee knows a lot on these from working in a nursery Julz, I know NOTHING about this stuff from working in a nursery – I wouldn’t know the first thing about growing/cultivating garden plants or fruit trees. I am a botanist/ecologist. I know about indigenous plants that grow in bushland environments. My nursery, too, is ONLY for natives and indigenous plants – not a single fruit tree or garden plant to be seen.
All the stuff I have mentioned above is from a bit of searching through the web etc, and simply knowing the science behind what is being said about the chemicals and compounds found in various plants.

As for Bunnings???? They are grossly overpriced, so look for a nursery that might be run on a smaller scale, a private affair where you can get some good assistance and probably get some good prices!

Also I have heard that Oatmeal grass is another great grass for the piggies Perhaps you mean oatgrass? Which is a bit like wheatgrass, only using oat seed instead of wheat??? Pick up some oats (not rolled or steamed) from your local stockfeed store – my stockfeed call them “groats”, which you can grow into grass yourself.

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Oct 5 11 1:00 AM

Julz, If you're new to gardening, nasturtiums are easy to grow from seed. My guinea pigs used to eat its leaves and flowers. There's nothing cuter than a guinea pig eating flowers! Apparently, other guinea pigs don't like the leaves so much.

Other recommendations, if you don't mind.

Dandelion leaves can be high in oxalic acid and vitamin C, but you asked about flowers which as Lynlee said, should be fine.

I have a lot of chickweed in my so called garden, and they're yummy stuff.
http://www.guinealynx.info/forages_common.html

If you're putting in fruit trees, cherry guava is excellent. Brisbane climate is perfect for it. It grows lushly without help and the fruits are ~*! (amazing beyond words), if a bit too sugary for guinea pigs. It doesn't grow too tall either so it's easy to pick. It also comes as pineapple guava.
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/plant/Strawberry-Cherry-Guava.htm

Rocket and basil are also easy to grow, but rocket is very high in calcium (good for humans though).

I used to feed my piggies bokchoi, but they really don't like the stems. Bokchoi and many asian leafy greens are in the Brassica family the same as cabbages, and cabbages can cause bloat, so I am a bit wary of feeding too much.

Aloe vera is also good to grow. Fast growing, easy to contain, will grow in shade/semi shade without you giving it any attention. Useful for soothing guinea pig skin. I bought a tiny plant a long time ago, and in two years it FILLED two large rectangular self-watering pots. I haven't touched it for four years and it looks magnificent.

Mints and chamomile are also supposedly easy to grow, but I've never been much good at them. They're good for a bit of variety in their diet.

Worm farm! With all that guinea pig poo, it's a must. (Guinea pig poo must not have Revolution etc in them, unless you leave it a few months before giving it to the worms.)

Paw paw leaves I think have sap in them, and I would stay away from anything with sap in it, but dandelion has sap too... Still, paw paw leaves seem a bit iffy.

Oh, might I add, asparagus is such a good idea. A hedge of it is so pretty and it'll give you spears for years.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#44 [url]

Oct 5 11 3:00 AM

hayfever wrote:
Julz, If you're new to gardening, nasturtiums are easy to grow from seed. My guinea pigs used to eat its leaves and flowers. There's nothing cuter than a guinea pig eating flowers! Apparently, other guinea pigs don't like the leaves so much.

Other recommendations, if you don't mind.

Dandelion leaves can be high in oxalic acid and vitamin C, but you asked about flowers which as Lynlee said, should be fine.

I have a lot of chickweed in my so called garden, and they're yummy stuff.
http://www.guinealynx.info/forages_common.html

If you're putting in fruit trees, cherry guava is excellent. Brisbane climate is perfect for it. It grows lushly without help and the fruits are ~*! (amazing beyond words), if a bit too sugary for guinea pigs. It doesn't grow too tall either so it's easy to pick. It also comes as pineapple guava.
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/plant/Strawberry-Cherry-Guava.htm

Rocket and basil are also easy to grow, but rocket is very high in calcium (good for humans though).

I used to feed my piggies bokchoi, but they really don't like the stems. Bokchoi and many asian leafy greens are in the Brassica family the same as cabbages, and cabbages can cause bloat, so I am a bit wary of feeding too much.

Aloe vera is also good to grow. Fast growing, easy to contain, will grow in shade/semi shade without you giving it any attention. Useful for soothing guinea pig skin. I bought a tiny plant a long time ago, and in two years it FILLED two large rectangular self-watering pots. I haven't touched it for four years and it looks magnificent.

Mints and chamomile are also supposedly easy to grow, but I've never been much good at them. They're good for a bit of variety in their diet.

Worm farm! With all that guinea pig poo, it's a must. (Guinea pig poo must not have Revolution etc in them, unless you leave it a few months before giving it to the worms.)

Paw paw leaves I think have sap in them, and I would stay away from anything with sap in it, but dandelion has sap too... Still, paw paw leaves seem a bit iffy.

Oh, might I add, asparagus is such a good idea. A hedge of it is so pretty and it'll give you spears for years.

I have just started growing nastrurnums in my gardens everywhere so they should be popping up in no time, I know they are good for guinea pigs, 90% of my garden is devoted too my guinea pigs, I do a lot of research but on some things I need a 'helping hand'

I have 4 plants of dandilions and they are very much loving my soil and compost so that is great.

I havent got any paw paw and I dont really intend too get any because I have found they are a bit harder too control and with my limited mobility I dont think I would be able too 'maintain' the trees too their requirements so i have decided too not go with any of those.

I have chamomile in my garden but my boys do not like this and turn their noses up too it, but as soon as I bring in dill/basil and parsley they are crawling up the cage too get at it and honestly Demetri's face goes from each one and he doesnt know where too go LOL really amusing

I have got a huge bunch of sweet corn and plain corn growing at the moment with lettuce/spinach/strawberrys (pigs are not going too get leaves!!).

I also have pennyroyal as a pest deterant, i also have cucumber beans (which Demetri adores). Plus aswell I have tomatoes growing out of control and the boys strive too get as much tomato as they can with me BUT! I am sensible in noticing how much they eat as I have an eating chart for both animals aswell as a weighing chart!!! so everyone be assured that they are getting plenty of everything they need, Aswell as 'Hay and Grain' At all times!. Tho I still get up through the night too see if they have adequate hay and grain till the morning where I top if up for the day time shift.

Well the boys are in their day time cage while I cleaned out the main cage and I have made my own tunnels which I will upload later today or tomorrow and they are made of a special absorbant towling and batting plus a specific typing of wadding for waterproof tunnels. Tho this is my secret design so I am wondering if i should upload pictures of not LOL . (Please note, I know I have gone off topic here please dont spank me!) *hides*!

The last thing a part from another 2 raised garden beds is a worm farm adn then use the juice from the worms too reboost the soil up, I really want too get totally independant with my gardening so when it comes too the odd trip too the fruit and veg market it will only be a few dollars that I will have too spend at any time throughout the year. Plus there is always heaps of grass (as April can atest too!) I still remember your reaction when you looked out my back door and saw the lush green grass .

So in summing up, I am a responsible caring loving devoted piggie owner who cares about all aspects of her guinea pigs needs!.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Oct 5 11 2:43 PM

Oh another fan of worm juice! Your garden sounds well advanced. I thought you were maybe new to gardening and a black thumb like I used to be so I thought I'd give you the benefit of some hard earned lessons, but you seem way ahead of me. I wish I could grow chamomile! It smells so much better fresh. I'm surprised your piggies don't like it. Mine love chamomile and it's in Oxbow botanical hay which they don't get often, along with lavender, which is another thing you could probably grow for variety in their diet.

I would grow corn if I had a veggie patch. My piggies love corn leaves but I don't give it to them too often because the outer layer is usually high in pesticides and I don't eat much corn myself.

You manage to get so much done! And you're sewing so much stuff for your piggies too... I feel like such a lazy piggy slave.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Oct 5 11 3:52 PM

all i can express it is you have too have a real deep devotion too the things you love and want so much more back from, and you have too put in that effort too relive the rewards over and over.

the sewing is a passion and it helps calm me down, I am doing a ocean table cloth with embrodiary (spelling its night time lol) so I am really enjoying that, plus i want too get some ocean items too sew onto the table cloth too make it stand out plus some blue lace would work wonders around the edges plus some hand sewen place mats for mugs, gosh now your making me go overboard lol thanks Hayfever i can always count on you

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help