Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jul 5 09 12:25 PM

What about basil Mint can they eat that do you think?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Oct 19 10 10:00 AM

There's a few different kinds of grass growing here, I give different kinds to the girls, but i wonder, does anyone know of a type of grass piggys SHOULDN'T eat?

Danielle, Pepi Chino Le Phew. RIP My Beverly and Lady Sarah

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#28 [url]

Oct 19 10 10:08 PM

Zoe121 wrote:
I don't think they are supposed to eat nut grass or onion grass either

Hmm must be the botanist in me .... neither of these are grasses. Nutgrass is a sedge, onion grass is a type of lily. But both look grass-like so I am being a bit pedantic! LOL

Mork, you may be ok but blady grass has been linked to toxicity issues in stock so I would personally avoid it. Generally, stock won't eat blady grass -same way piggers won't eat certain foods - but if they have nothing else to eat, then they will.

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#29 [url]

Oct 19 10 10:10 PM

Oh and blady grass has a distinctive "flower" spike....gorgeous white fluffy seed head

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   

Zoe121

#30 [url]

Oct 20 10 9:42 AM

chuffnut wrote:
Hmm must be the botanist in me .... neither of these are grasses. Nutgrass is a sedge, onion grass is a type of lily. But both look grass-like so I am being a bit pedantic! LOL

Oops, sorry! I never knew that, just always thought they were grasses.

Thanks

Rach

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

chuffnut

#32 [url]

Feb 3 11 12:50 PM

I can't find anything that relates specifically to the leaves but the roots (rhizome) has medicinal properties:

Nutgrass flatsedge rhizome contains an essential oil (volatile oil) with b-pinene, cyperene, a-cyperone b-cyperone and a-cyperol as its main ingredients. It also contains alkaloids, flavonoids, triterpenes, etc.

For self protection, the outer skin (bark) of many plants contains essential oil, which in turn has elements that serve as an immediate chemical defense against herbivores and pathogens. How? There is an element called hydroxynitrile glucoside in essential oil. This element will release toxic hydrogen cyanide by endogenous plant glucosidase upon tissue disruption (see Anne Vinther Morant, Kirsten Jorgensen, Charlotte Jorgensen, Suzanne Michelle Paquette, Raquel Sanchez-Perez, Birger Lindberg Moller, and Soren Bak, "beta-Glucosidases as Detonators of Plant Chemical Defense," Phytochemistry Vol. 69, Issue 9 (June 200, pp. 1,795-1,813).

Glucosidase is a catalyzing enzyme that improves healthy functions of our body. It is a lipase that decomposes fat; it can also check inflammation and improve memory (see Mikako Sakurai, Masayuki Sekiguchi, Ko Zushida, Kazuyuki Yamada, Satoshi Nagamine, Tomohiro Kabuta and Keiji Wada, "Reduction in memory in passive avoidance learning, exploratory behaviour and synaptic plasticity in mice with a spontaneous deletion in the ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase L1 gene," European Journal of Neuroscience Vol. 27, Issue 3 (February 200, pp. 691-701).

The 5% nutgrass flatsedge extract can inhibit the isolated uteri of experimental animals by reducing their contractility and tension. Its volatile oil has a mild estrogen-like action. Its water decoction can reduce the tonicity of the intestinal canal and counter acetylcholine. The water solutions of its total alkaloid, glycosides, flavonoids and phenolic compounds have cardiotonic and hypotensive effects.

Nutgrass flatsedge oil can inhibit Staphylococcus aureus and its extract can inhibit some fungi.

The plant is rated 8th amongst 250 potentential antifertility plants in China.

The plant is used in the treatment of cervical cancer.

I'd imagine the leaves should be ok and may have similar properties only much less concentrated. Some studies say that high doses of nutgrass can be toxic, but we are talking lots and LOTS

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Feb 4 11 6:22 AM

Lynlee, do U know if Tiger grass is ok for the pigs, the web site I found described it as a bamboo like grass.....we have given the pigs a little bit to try with no adverse reactions ....can u shed any light on this subject ???

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#34 [url]

Feb 4 11 7:50 AM

Are you asking this because of the thread on CRC? I am in the middle of a response for that one at the moment...

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#36 [url]

Feb 5 11 12:07 AM

Hi Trace, a quick answer here - still haven't finished the CRC one...
From what I can find, Tiger Grass Thysanolaena latifolia has no known toxicity.

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Feb 5 11 1:17 AM

PHEW thanks Lynlee.....if I give them grass as well as the tiger grass , they eat the normal grass first.....the tiger grass seems a lot coarser but if I break it up the lil spoilt brats eat it lol

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Sep 24 11 10:30 AM

Hi Piggie lovers.

I would love too get more knowledge on what I am growing in my gardens too see if I can give it too my boys.

Sunflowers aswell as the leaves and stems.

The stems on lettuces

the leaves on sweet corn.

stawberrie leaves. Plus the green part on the actual strawberry.

the dandilion flowers. (yellow flowers)

capsicum leaves aswell as the stem that is attatched too the capsicum.

I am pulling out some plants that are no longer in season and

I was wondering on bokchoi (plus another asian leafy greens that are good for the boys but leaves are bad or good) the yellow flowers that come out of thetop aswell as the tops of lettuces when they are allowed too grow ontop of each other.

asparragus leaves and carrot leaves?

I know we can give mint and it is a distraction too pests,

I am growing pennyroyal and I was wondering if this is another plant that we would be able too give too the boys?

Chili plants and anything hot leaves wise?

I am growing beans and cucumbers now aswell and on the leaves with these too. is there any cucumbers that we should stick clear of?

now with herbs, I am going too bunnings next weekend too re-energise my gardens plus get another raised garden bed constructed too, for summer time which is a great time too grow many many veges ...

Plus I am going too get into fruit trees. Should I be staying away from any fruit trees in particular? I am not going high with any fruit trees and just want them in large pots which will be easier too maintain for me.

I am looking into paw paw trees aswell and was wondering if the leaves on these would be suitable for the boys?

*of coure everything I am saying now I have not given it too my boys*

I know Lynlee knows a lot on these from working in a nursery which I really do wish I could work in once cause I love the place ... it absorbs so much of my life but I feel like I am addicted too the place.. Is this the feeling you get as well from the nursery too Lynlee? lol

Also for Northside brissy people is there a genuine nursery that people have good success with?

I normally shop at Bunnings but I find a lot of the things that I want (plant wise only) they do not have.

So any advice or directions too other nurseries would be fantastic and appreciated a lot.

Also I have heard that Oatmeal grass is another great grass for the piggies, if this is true does anyone know where I can get some of this too grow in my gardens???? Please??

Thank you for your time and any advice/suggestions/nurseries too visit too, tho in saying this, nurseries/bunnings are very addictive for me lol tho I love reasons too go too these places

I normally end up with a lot coming out with the intent of only a few items going in lol, tho I am sure that this is the case for many of our piggie family .

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Sep 24 11 10:36 PM

The following are definitely yes and hopefully that narrows your list down!
stems on lettuces, leaves on sweet corn (silk), strawberry tops including the leaves, dandelion flowers, capsicum stems, and carrot leaves.

I got some oatgrass seeds from the Cavy sanctuary and they have grown really well. Donna said to get them from Brendale produce. I still haven't gone to get them.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Sep 25 11 12:00 AM

sweet I have too go there next week too get hay so I will get some of that aswell! thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help