Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 18 06 12:37 AM

Tags : :

Below is a list of safe plants and herbs that you can feed your guinea pig. If you would like to add a plant or herb to the safe/unsafe list please reply below and we will add your plants/herbs to the list!

Please Note: Guinea pigs differ in their food taste so may not enjoy all of the herbs and plants below. This list is simply so owners know what is safe and unsafe to try with their guinea pigs. As a suggestion, if you are unsure if your plant/herb is DEFINITELY your intentional plant/herb to feed to your guinea pig then please look up a photograph and information online to double check before feeding it to your guinea pig as some plants can look similar to others and may be unsafe for guinea pigs to eat.

If you have a plant or herb that you are unsure of whrether it is one of the plant/herbs listed below, or if you have a plant/herb you woudl like to know further information on, then please post a photo in this thread so that others can determine whether it is safe to feed your guinea pig.

Safe Herbs and Plants

Coriander
Anise
Chamomile
Chickweed
Clover
Parsley
Basil
Dandelion
Fennel
Common Grasses
Dock
Milk Thistle ( Very good source of nutrition )
Wandering Jew
Peppermint
Comfrey
Plaintain
Borage
Cleavers
Raspberry Leaves
Stinging Nettle
Yarrow
Oat Grass ( Very good nutritious tasty grass and can can be grown easily from Cracked oats which can be purchased from your local produce/feed stores ).

Unsafe Herbs and Plants do NOT feed

Deadly Nightshade
Azalea
Bird of Paradise
Oleander
Buttercup
Any type of BULB plant
Clematis
Foxglove
Daffodil
St Johns Wort
Morning Glory
Fig
Hemlock
Holly
Feverfew
Ivy
Lily
Wisteria
Onion Weed
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

May 16 06 1:43 AM

Fig contains a poisenous white sap in the base of the fruit/stem. Would be toxic to them.

We have enslaved animals and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 25 06 7:53 AM

Ive noticed you can buy 'fresh' bunches of DILL in the supermarkets. Its a herb but I was wondering if its okay to give to piggies. Have never tried it or really thought about it & its not already on the lists here.

We have enslaved animals and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 25 06 10:06 AM

I've just had a look at a site I got a lot of information from about foods and what you can and can't feed your piggies and they say that Dill weed, which i'm assuming is the same thing, has been used as a digestive aid for hundreds of years, it's a low vitamin C food though.

I hope this helps

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 25 06 10:10 AM

So it would be okay to try them on then?

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 25 06 10:16 AM

Well it says its a safe food, so I would say yes, maybe just try a little bit and see if they like it and whether it has any bad effects on them, but I think it would be ok.

I mean Basil is ok and it's a herb too ...

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 27 06 11:01 AM

Hi all

Just thought I would let you know I tried my piggies on 'dill' for the first time ever today & they loved it!! Its so green & fresh & smells devine!

You can get it in your standard supermarket for about $1.50 a small bunch. But I have found if you go to a fruit&veg store you can get a massive massive bunch for like $2 in many different herbs.

Actually last weekend I got the biggest bunch of parsley I have ever seen for $1. It was at the markets out at FernyGrove on Sunday.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 4 07 6:55 AM

The boys love the Water Cress.
Can they have lemon grass ?, I am working my way through the garden,

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

PansyGirl

#12 [url]

Sep 4 07 12:24 PM

My Sally will eat a bit of mint, but Violet sniffs it and runs

I would say that lemongrass would be a no go.

Jeni

“Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength” - St Francis de Sales

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Sep 5 07 8:20 AM

we had mint growing out of control at our last house and it was all though the grass (very nice when it was cut!) The girls would eat it sometimes... they smelt very nice after!

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 7 07 9:00 AM

I tried a little Lemon Grass, the new shoots, mixed in with a little of everything else from the possum proof garden patch and they eat it, but I dont know if it is really safe, so it will be on the "no get list" on the fridge untill I know for sure, but they are very happy Boys,
Tina weighted them on Wednesday for me Falcor is 517g he is the eldest I think he is 3mths and Matthias 395g I think he is 2 and a bit, but I will have to check with Tina.

Tricia
Falcor and Matthias

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 11 07 10:40 AM

This thread is so informative! Has anyones piggies actually eaten wandering jew? we have lots of it in the garden and if it really is harmless for them then would be a great way for me to use it.

I tried mine with a little mint today and one ate it one didnt.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Mar 10 09 3:17 AM

What about Oxalis please? Oxalis is a type of clover, but not sure if one is safe and another not?

http://tinyurl.com/dmvud5

Rather safe than sorry, but if Guinea Pigs *can* eat this, it would be a fabulous help! LOL They'd actually be earning their keep - because I hate the stuff!

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jul 5 09 9:30 AM

if its just plain mint you are talking about my piggies love it,usually one of the first things to disappear from there bowl,as with all herbs it has to be fed in small amounts xx

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help