Remove this ad

#121 [url]

Feb 2 11 3:45 AM

Eggplant is toxic raw, even to humans. It contains Solamine...

My Current Babies: Emma + Fizzy (aka Fizz-Wizz)
My Angel Pigs: Charlie, Caramel, Josef, Josephine + Frank
My Angel Mice: Megann, Merryll, Alyssa, Carmen, Hermione, Eryn + Samantha
My Angel Pups: Wilbur

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#122 [url]

Feb 2 11 6:47 AM

Oh...same as potatoes and tomatoes. Woops...He only gets a tiny bit of flesh if I'm cooking eggplant and he loves it. It's always been ripe and without the skin on. No side effects so far but I think I'll avoid it from now on! Maybe he just likes it for the nicotine it has in it.

Boo & The Piggy St Massive

Quote    Reply   

#123 [url]

Feb 3 11 1:23 AM

i thought tomatoes were safe??

April :)
4 girl piggies- Mary, Stella, Peggy & Sasha
RIP my little darlings Daphne & Lucy :( May there be lots of foods in piggie heaven.
7 mice- Caramel, Chocolate, Lamington, Butterscotch, Creamie & Jaffa & Patches
2 ratties- Sunflower & Lilly

Quote    Reply   

#124 [url]

Feb 3 11 1:32 AM

Cavyluver wrote:

tomatoes are safe, if fed in high quanititys they can cause mouth sores as they are acidic, all of my pigs get one cherry tomato each weekly and love it, i find the cherry tomatoes less problematic.

Bonnie, mum to
~many beautiful rescued piggies,dogs,cats and ratties~

Quote    Reply   

#126 [url]

Feb 3 11 4:26 AM

I also find home grown organic tomartoes are FAR less acidic I have never had a problem with mouth sores. And in peak season they could be getting a small one per day

Quote    Reply   

#128 [url]

Feb 3 11 7:55 AM

Most pigs would be fine with a little more than once a week but its those few that are prone to mouth sores that will have issues, i prefer to just do those sorts of food once a week along with fruit

Bonnie, mum to

Quote    Reply   

#129 [url]

Feb 3 11 8:02 AM

every day I do a mixture of celery + leaves, capsicum, cucumber, cos lettice, carrot, apple, rockmelon, parsley, basil (only a little bit of parsley and basil tho!). and only like twice a week watermelon, my boys really dont like watermelon that much, its a shock huh?

Oh and I should say I need to do something with my cage, Demetri got out of the cage while I was distracted getting their vegetables/fruit ready and then went and hid under my tv unit!! 10mins later after a chase around my loungeroom he is back in his cage! naughty boy! Jess you and your hudini nickname for Demetri has paid off high dividends :LMAO: thanks alot

Quote    Reply   

#130 [url]

Feb 4 11 9:13 AM

Lol so maybe ten mins after i leave youll realise you only have one piggy left?? ok my girls get a third of a tomatoe between them a day, is that to much?

April :)
4 girl piggies- Mary, Stella, Peggy & Sasha
RIP my little darlings Daphne & Lucy :( May there be lots of foods in piggie heaven.
7 mice- Caramel, Chocolate, Lamington, Butterscotch, Creamie & Jaffa & Patches
2 ratties- Sunflower & Lilly

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#131 [url]

Feb 4 11 9:21 AM

trust me, when one pig is away from the other, they weak for each other, so I would notice plus NO ONE is allowed too take my Demetri away hes my spesh piggie You'll understand tomorrow

ummm Question: I bought camomile yesterday and my boys run away like their frightened of it, are there different types and how do I know which one I have got? (accidently misplaced the tag!).

Quote    Reply   

#132 [url]

Feb 4 11 11:31 AM

Cavyluver wrote:

Tomatoes are part of the deadly nightshade family, same as potatoes and aubergine. But tomatoes don't contain high levels of solamine like potatoes and as I now know, aubergine.
They're best kept as treats as they are high in sugar and acidity. My pigs love toms!

Quote    Reply   

#133 [url]

Feb 5 11 4:23 AM

tomato,carrot,celery and apple are never daily foods, apple for my pigs is once a fortnight although you could feed it once or twice a week.

i feed tomato once a week, celery 2-3 times a weeks in small amounts and carrot 1-2 times per week, the staple low sugar/lower in calcium foods are good for everyday

my bases for veg is two types of lettuce daily
Green capsicum daily

and then i alternate the higher calcium/water content foods throughout the week

and sugary/acidic food is once-twice a week tops

Bonnie, mum to

Quote    Reply   

#135 [url]

Feb 24 11 1:38 AM

I read through this thread and have a couple of unanwered questions. Bamboo leaves were mentioned but not if they are okay or not. I know apple seeds are bad but what about pear seeds? Also, someone mentioned that their pigs loved pumpkin seeds. Are these okay?

Quote    Reply   

#136 [url]

Feb 25 11 10:47 PM

Raw pumpkin seeds are quite high in phosphorous, potassium and magnesium so I wouldn't unless it was on the very odd occasion.

Quote    Reply   

#137 [url]

Feb 25 11 10:49 PM

Forgot to say too that pear seeds contain the same thing as apple seeds - cyanide.
Pears like other fruits should only be given as treats as well due to high sugar content. My pigs love it when they get it, but that's only about twice a year!

We used to have a member that fed their guinea pigs bamboo leaves. They had no problems. It's high in fibre etc but I don't know how safe it is but I'd imagine it would be wise to give only as treats.

Perhaps someone else knows more re bamboo.

Quote    Reply   

PansyGirl

#139 [url]

Jun 29 11 9:29 AM

http://www.australiancavysanctuary.com/ACS_GuineaPigCare_Fruit&VegList%5B1%5D%5B1%5D.doc

Jeni

“Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength” - St Francis de Sales

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help