Remove this ad

#102 [url]

Jun 22 09 5:17 AM

I know this is an old thread, but as far as I can tell, noone has answered the rhubarb question...
Raw rhubarb is poisonous to people as well, that is why we cook it and add a tonne of sugar. DON'T feed raw rhubarb to your piggies!

***It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice***

Quote    Reply   

#105 [url]

Oct 24 09 8:49 AM

I tried the alfalfa once and none of them touched it...I think I read somewhere that it isnt overly desirable to them... maybe not overly safe?

Not sure about pomegranates, I personally would give them something else lol

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#106 [url]

Oct 24 09 10:03 AM

alfalfa is lucerne seedlings...haven't tried the sprouts on my hord yet...

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   

#108 [url]

Sep 8 10 12:46 PM

I was told sweet potato is no good for piggys, nor raw spinach. Maybe i've been misinformed. Sometimes My Beverly eats food from my plate, (usually salad), but sumtimes she'll nibble on rice crackers, is this not ok? Seems to not affect her, and she sneaks up and pulls it off my plate, or outta my hand......too cute!

Danielle, Pepi Chino Le Phew. RIP My Beverly and Lady Sarah

Quote    Reply   

#110 [url]

Sep 9 10 5:45 AM

Mine really like the baby spinach leaves, once week is about what they get. They also like Watercress.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Baileybutt

#111 [url]

Oct 2 10 9:12 AM

Hi, I couldn't find the answer to this on the forums anywhere so sorry if it's already been addressed. Is it ok to feed guinea pigs capsicum seeds? I have been feeding them to my two girls for a few months now and it is one of their favourite foods.
For some reason I decided to search online to see if they are safe the other day and I have only found mixed messages. Lots of sites say the seeds are too spicy for guinea pigs and some say they are safe. Would the spiciness affect their health/digestion or is it just to do with the taste?

Does anyone here know a definite answer or any other reason besides spiciness which would contraindicate the feeding of capsicum seeds?

What about Tomato seeds? I also feed those but have since heard they are not safe?

Thanks a bunchies
p.s. Praying for Sunshine tomorrow for the Pignic!

-Aleesha-

Quote    Reply   

#112 [url]

Oct 2 10 9:17 AM

mine have the seeds of the capsicum and tomato, I have always feed it to them, I have never had a problem so far.

this was brought up some one once, have no idea where, but I think it was decided that it was ok, as most of use do it now with out a bad reacion from the pigs.

Quote    Reply   

pigsforlife

#113 [url]

Oct 2 10 9:23 AM

I don't. I feed them what I would eat myself - and I don't eat the seeds or the white bits so nor do the pigs. I do eat the tomato seeds, so so do they.

Buttercup - March 2007 - August 2008
Toffee - June 2007 - December 2010

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

#115 [url]

Oct 2 10 12:57 PM

Ah interesting cos I was wondering the same. I never used to feed the insides of the capsicum but I find this seems to be the piggies favourite part and there are never any seeds left in sight! I don't do apple seeds even though I'm a weirdo that eats the whole apple but I figure it'd be like a dog eating a mango or peach seed, plus would it crack their teeth?

Boo & The Piggy St Massive

Quote    Reply   

#116 [url]

Oct 2 10 1:08 PM

Actually, apple seeds have a small amount of cyanide in them, which is enough to kill a piggy! The rest of the apple is absolutely fine, but you're right to not give them the seeds!

Quote    Reply   

#117 [url]

Oct 3 10 7:23 AM

Kat wrote:
Actually, apple seeds have a small amount of cyanide in them, which is enough to kill a piggy! The rest of the apple is absolutely fine, but you're right to not give them the seeds!

For this reason also Apple seeds should not be fed to birds..

image ~*Una*~ image image

Quote    Reply   

pigsforlife

#118 [url]

Oct 3 10 7:52 AM

Kat wrote:

Wow! Who would have thought..

Buttercup - March 2007 - August 2008
Toffee - June 2007 - December 2010

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

#119 [url]

Oct 3 10 9:58 AM

Only bitter almond is toxic, the 'sweet almond' (the one we eat) is perfectly fine. Otherwise I would have died years ago *consumes far too many Almonds*

My Current Babies: Emma + Fizzy (aka Fizz-Wizz)
My Angel Pigs: Charlie, Caramel, Josef, Josephine + Frank
My Angel Mice: Megann, Merryll, Alyssa, Carmen, Hermione, Eryn + Samantha
My Angel Pups: Wilbur

Quote    Reply   

#120 [url]

Feb 2 11 3:17 AM

Guinea Lynx have a new Nutrition Chart. It's probably been there a while and I only just found it.

It's great because you can click on a column and it will sort it so you don't have to sift through 4 different columns. It's all colour matched for various things eg too high calcium, right balance calcium, foods high in acidity.

It's made it so much easier for me trying to figure out Ca ratio foods as I have a few sludge problem pigs. Now I can pick the unbalanced ones...too high in calcium or too high in phosphorous, and foods hi in C that are safe for them.

Can anyone tell me if Augergine (Eggplant) is ok for pigs. It's Steve's dead set favourite but I can't find anything saying it's not good for them.

Boo & The Piggy St Massive

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help