Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Jun 1 06 12:53 AM

Hey, I found this on Rhubard, it's all bad - don't feed it to them.

Parts Known to be Poisonous: Raw leaves; blade of the leaf even after cooking - anthraquinone glycosides and soluble oxalates, also possibly calcium oxylate crystals. (Abdominal cramps, burning of mouth and throat, headache, weakness, nausea and vomiting, coma; may be fatal.)

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Jun 1 06 6:53 AM

hmm thats what Im not sure about (like Im not feeding it to my pigs - no way I would risk it) but just curious, because all the sites ive looked it up on say the leaves & blades of the leaves are poisenous but states nothing in relation to the 'stalk' - which is what looks like celery but is red.

awh well search continues.. lol

We have enslaved animals and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Jun 1 06 7:18 AM

Yeah humans can eat the stalks of rhubarb - its used in many desserts etc

I was wondering if like humans though can piggies have the stalk too? They love the crunch of celery - if its safe - Im sure they would love the crunch/sweetness that rhubarb offers, similar to celery.

?? Still seeking answers, so confusing this damn veggie/fruit/thingymabob

We have enslaved animals and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Jun 1 06 8:14 AM

Might have to wait for Jess on this one lol, I don't think they can eat it though ... but no I don't think they advise it for piggies ... everything I've read says no, they don't actually specify though .. but I think it's an unsafe one.

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Jun 9 06 7:24 AM

I've only just started to give my pumpkin and sweet potatoe, they get it raw and unpeeled. They do quite like the sweet potato but not so much the pumpkin lol

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Jun 9 06 8:58 AM

Yeah same with my pigs they're not fussed on pumpkin sweet potato theyre not huge on but they'll eat small amounts here and there. I feed it unpeeled. Hope you piggies like it

Jess

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Jun 9 06 11:08 AM

The girls like sweet potato but wont touch pumpkin. I peel sweet potato cause I dont like the look of the skin...I wouldnt eat it so I dont feed it to them. But then again I only have 2 pigs so it doesnt take much time to peel about 1cm of sweet potato every now and again.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Jun 9 06 11:38 AM

but all the good stuff is in the skin ... I love sweet potato that's been baked and I eat it with the skin on, but then that might be because it's cooked lol

But I was always told that fruit and vegies held the majority of vitamins etc in the skin.

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   

Annabelle

#50 [url]

Jun 13 06 10:25 AM

Can anyone tell me are all beans bad for guinea pigs? When it says "raw beans" can you give them to them cooked?

..Annabelle..
*As we dig our toes deeper into the earth and take conscious steps to care for our planet, our friends and ourselves, our inner light will shine *

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Jun 13 06 10:22 PM

I was eating beans with my dinner last night and was thinking the same thing Annabelle My girls loove the crunch factor so I dont think cooked soggy beans would be a hit at my place!

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Jun 29 06 3:53 AM

[quote=\"J A M\"]phew! lucky i asked.......
how about orange skin? or leaves from corn?
[/quote]
Mine ate the orange peel the first time they tasted orange.
Subsequently, they knew better, they just leave the peel alone, cleaned out !

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Jul 8 06 5:36 AM

From my opinion, green beans are good for them, just not the beans like navy beans, lima beans, those kind that are dried. does that make any sense? You should know I am blonde and find it hard to actually explain what I mean!
My piggies love pumpkin skin, sweet potato skin and especially the pumpkin seeds, they go crazy for them! Now I haven't read anywhere weather they are good or bad(pumpkin seeds that is) so it may pay to get another opinion.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Jul 12 06 4:21 AM

I'm going to bring up an old subject .. Rhubarb Stalks .. anyone know ... we worked out that the leaves are dangerous, but what about the stalks???

Beans as in the long green beans, mine love them ... crunch factor I think ...

Mine are picky on Zucchini, but Charlie loves it (yay beause I was given a bag of them lol)

Has anyone ever tried egg plant?? It's not on any good or bad list, but I did find a list that said not sure because there just wasn't enough information on it ... I have been given about 4 bags of the small mini ones and i've just chopped 2 up and shared it out ... all the piggies went for it and munched in ... i'll let you know if there is anything negative, but so far they seem to like the taste ..

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Jul 12 06 7:58 AM

Thats an interesting question Tanya. I have never even thought about Egg Plant actually.

I swear I read somewhere it was poisenous to gpigs. But I wouldnt hold me for my word on that one, I dont remember where I read that LOL

I would like to know though. Jess, any1?? lol

I never found out about rhubarb stalks either. I was curious also.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Jul 12 06 8:04 AM

yeah craig found on cavy cages I think it was ... one like that anyway where they said egg plant was on their don't know list ... just just didn't have th info to say yes or no so they said to proceed with caution .. now it hasn't all be gobbled up but it has definately been nibbled ...

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Sep 29 06 12:36 PM

My girls love kale (although I can only get it at the markets at the organic stall, so it's a real treat) and they also love parsley.

I don't know about orange skin, however my girls will eat the orange and leave the skin alone.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Sep 29 06 12:47 PM

Kale is awesome for both piggies and humans. It's full of lots of great stuff and can taste awesome. It's expensive to buy, but worth it. I spend at least $6/week on buying kale - and that's only two tiny bunches.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help