Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 18 06 12:34 AM

Tags : :

Below is a list of safe fruit and vegies that you can feed to your guinea pig. Please feel free to ad to the list by replying and we will copy the foods in your reply and add them into the list!

Safe Fruit and Veg

Sweet Potato ( Don't feed normal potato it's toxic to cavies )
Paw Paw
Honeydew Melon
Rockmelon
Watermelon
Capsicum
Apricot and Plum Leaves
Onion Grass
Cucumber
Choko
Tomato
Kolrabi
Celery
Carrots
Parsnip
Silverbeet
Beetroot
Parsley
Pumpkin
Zucchini
Cauliflower
Cherries
Strawberries
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage ( feed sparingly )
Banana and banana leaves
Apple
Orange
Kiwi Fruit
Silverbeet
Asparagus
Corn
Green Beans
Grapes
Lettuce ( Feed Sparingly and avoid Iceburg Lettuce )
Pear
Pineapple
Zucchini

Unsafe Fruit and Veg - Do NOT feed

Normal Potato
Raw Beans
Wild mushrooms and berries
Iceburg Lettuce ( low in nutrition and far to high in water content )
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

May 17 06 3:46 AM

Onions are HIGHLY toxic to guinea pigs. NEVER FED THEM ONIONS!
Any Veg/Fruit that was grown from a 'bulb' in the ground is a good indication that it is poisenous to your guinea pig.

Onions will kill a gp. (Same as it would a dog,etc.)

We have enslaved animals and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 17 06 4:37 AM

LOL Hol,

I think you got that message across hehe...
Yeah any type of bulb vegetable is no good for piggies. I don't think they'd eat anyhow they probably wouldn't like the taste. Thanks for askin!

Jess

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 17 06 4:46 AM

lol I wasnt being mean, just wanted to make sure it was clear.

Didnt want any1 to be about to feed their piggy onion. lol

But you are right, they probably wouldnt even touch it.

We have enslaved animals and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 18 06 12:11 AM

Don't know about Orange skin, it's very acidic though, I don't think I would - I wouldn't even eat it myself lol, but the leaves from the corn, mine love that, I will just put a small 1/4 to a half of a cob of corn in, leaves and all, the leaves get devoured first and then they go for the sweet juicy corn ...

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 18 06 12:35 AM

Don't know about Rice or brown rice, dry wouldn't be good because that can swell in their tummy's and possibly cause a problem.

You would have to cook it and let it cool, but I don't know if they would eat it or if it has any nutritional value to it.

I think I will leave this one for Jess or Holly or one of the others for that one ...

Sorry I can't help you further

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 18 06 12:38 AM

Geesh, no1 has ever asked that before. lol
I guess as Tanya said 'raw rice' would swell in their stomachs making them sick/uncomfortable. Cooked Im not sure, I guess it is just a grain. Maybe not white as it is too processed. Brown as it isnt as processed *natural therefore* . But yeah Im really not sure.
Sorry..

Maybe Jess knows. Ill be interested to find out also.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 18 06 12:41 AM

Has anyone ever fed their pigs plums? I have a plum waiting to be eaten at home and I would love to share it with the pigs

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

May 18 06 12:44 AM

Actually I think I did once offer one of my girls a plum and I think from memory she didn't eat it.

I'm not sure if that is on the safe list or not and maybe she knew something that I didn't lol

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 18 06 12:52 AM

Yeah I find the pigs don't really like the stone fruits e.g. plums, apricots, peaches, nectarines.

With the rice to be honest I've never been asked that question or fed it to the pigs so even I can't comment much on it. Guinea pig feeds that you purchase don't contain rice and are usually made of of grains/fruit/veg and hay/grasses although I've never read anywhere that rice could be bad for pigs so no harm in trying it I think it's a safe food you could try but as the others said feeding it raw may not be the best idea as once it's in their stomach it'll expand with fluids and may leave them feeling uncomfortable or bloated.

Jess

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 18 06 12:52 AM

They are allowed plums to eat - just make sure you remove the seed. They are categorized as a stone fruit variety. Whether your pigs eat it or not is another question. I know mine have never really been fussed on fruit.

Just for the sugar content you have to make sure you don't feed them too much fruit regularly. Could give them the runs also.

I tried mine on Persimmon last night, the rescue boys ate it and so did my new rspca girl. But my other snooty overly spoilt piggies didnt touch it at all. lol

I actually tried it myself for the first time & they are delicious. Dont know if any1 here as eaten them before. They are great!! lol

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

May 18 06 1:03 AM

They were like $1.40 each Persimmon in Woolies last night. They are so yum though & in season for only a short while at the moment. Definetly give them a try even if you only get one.

Just make sure you take the stem off & if there are seeds inside (mine didnt have last night) then take them out. The stem & seeds are poisenous supposidly, lol. Like they say about apple seeds probably. You can eat the skin on the Persimmon too, really crunchy/sweet!

Your piggies might like them as a 'special' treat!
Let me know how you go if you do try it.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

May 18 06 1:49 AM

lol *gosh Im a nerd..... *Eekk*

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

May 18 06 6:07 AM

That's not being dumb, many people do eat the peel and cook with it!!

Did they eat any of the peel? or did they just leave that? I curious now lol

My name is Tanya

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help