Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 18 12 1:35 PM

Tags : :

Hi everyone,

I found some brown watery on one of my pig's bottom, it seems like she is having diarrhea for 2-3 days( i saw it yesterday and today). And she seems a bit tired since she doesn't open her eyes as big as normal, she looks sleepy, but there is no discharge from both eyes.
And she seems not as active as normal, i can feel that her push(she always try to push me away) is not as strong as before when i pick her up.
Now i am really worry about her, vets at emergency centre are not good with guinea pigs, so i need to wait til monday to the vet if she is not recovered by monday.
I am going to dry their greens before i give them from tomorrow.
Anyone got any ideas?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 18 12 2:34 PM

Here's the Guinea Lynx page on diarrhoea, http://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

Until you can get her to the vet I would cut out all greens/veggies. Feed plenty of hay (roughage). Make sure she's getting enough food and water (if she's not eating, you should hand feed her Critical Care, or if you don't have that, a pellet slurry, and even if she's drinking on her own, syringe feed her fluids). With diarrhoea it's really important you keep her fluids up due to the loss of water through the runny stools.

It really does sound like she needs a vet ASAP though. I've had a pig with quite bad diarrhoea before (Giardia infection) but she never became lethargic or tired looking. Spontaneous diarrhoea is not something I've had a massive amount of experience with though.

I'll see if I can get some ideas off other people for you. But do try to rehydrate her. She really needs fluids.

Jessica (& pigs).

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#2 [url]

Aug 18 12 3:16 PM

Take her off vegies and greens immediately, give her hay and dry food only. Get fluids into her urgently...syringe feed her electrolytes because she will be dehydrated - if you have gastrolyte or similar, this is best. If you don't have this, use gatorade. If she won't take fluids orally, then she must get subcutaneous fluid injection urgently.
If all else fails, please email me directly and i will try to catch up with you today (sunday) to do what i can..[email protected] or phone me 0438 878270

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#3 [url]

Aug 18 12 9:25 PM

Ps. With diarrhoea, especially watery diarrhoea, you have to act fast.

How is she today? Which piggy is it?

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 18 12 11:34 PM

Thank you so much Jessica and Lynlee.
She past away when i got up this morning. Lynlee,she ia the one i got from gumtree earlier in june.
That is too quick,she was still eating normally yeaterday both breakfast and dinner

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#5 [url]

Aug 18 12 11:42 PM

Oh damn. i am so sorry, Ashley. If anything like this ever happens again, please email or text me directly if you need advice as i get those messages much faster.
Because she was unwell, she wouldn't have maintained body heat either. So if any of the other girls ever get sick, put them in with a heat pack or hot water bottle.

The big worry now, though, is that she may have been carrying a contagious tummy bug like coccidiosis or clostridia. The others might not show symptoms immediately but if they ever get sick from something else, the cocci or clostridia can flare up. If you are ever worried, contact me and we could always treat the girls as a precaution.

Again, so sorry you lost her...your first rescue too... :-(

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 19 12 12:12 AM

Thank you Lynlee,i feel really sorry about her. i think i could do better.
Now i am a bit worry Choco(cecilia) as well,even she eat a lot and move around rapidly,but she did have a bit of browny water atound her bottom late night,but no more now. So i cut their greens,only giving four of them a few pieces of greens and some pellets and lots of hay now.
I tried to call you,but is direct to voice mail.

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#7 [url]

Aug 19 12 12:19 AM

Oh, yes, my ph has flat battery at the moment...sorry.
Choco too? Hmm, do you have any probiotics like inner health plus? If the problem is clostridia, this can help a lot. Do you want to treat all your girls with baycox and panacur? This can knock out a lot of stomach problems but just know that it can come at a risk. If a piggy is weakened by something else, baycox can be a bit harsh on them.

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 19 12 1:04 AM

They all seems health,eat a lots and very active.
I don't have these medication,i only have critical care and vitamin C with me . Where can i get those medicine you mentioned above? And how can i treat them with the medicine?

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 19 12 1:05 AM

I'm so sorry about your little girl. I hope Choco is going to be okay. I have my fingers crossed for her.

Jessica (& pigs).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

chuffnut

#14 [url]

Aug 19 12 2:28 AM

Not today unfortunately. Maybe tomorrow morning or late afternoon. i have moved my nursery too so now its further out. Will pm you my address.

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#16 [url]

Aug 19 12 2:55 AM

Tuesday will be ok providing choco doesn't get any worse. Also Depends how late. Or you could send me your address as i may be able to drop the drugs off to you - i am out and about a lot of tomorrow.

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 19 12 3:09 AM

I will be free after 4pm on tuesday.i am at clayton a bit far from you.Or actually i can come around 9am tomorrow if thats ok for you? Would you mind to have a look all of them when i come?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help