Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 18 12 7:03 AM

Tags : :

I noticed just over a week ago Rupert had a crusty yellowish thing on his nose and I thought he must have bumped his head on the ramp in his cage or something and got a little cut but then it got bigger. I checked his mouth area and didn't notice anything. However now he has a little cut on the inside of his mouth and he has more crustyness on the part between his mouth and nose. Then I checked the other boys and Tigereyes has crusty lips, however Nickel hasn't got anything. The only thing I think it could be is that Tigereye and Rupert both have started chewing on the wood in the hutch. Rupert used to do this in his old cage which never seemed to be an issue. In this hutch there is only a few places they can chew so I plan to chew proof it. So here are some flattering pictures of the boys haha.
Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about and any help would be great!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 18 12 9:16 AM

Sorry, I don't know much about it, but it does look crusty like you said and it looks like a cut to the left side of his mouth. It doesn't look as bad as many chelitis photos. Can't help other than to give you a link. Perhaps some vitamin B and C as mentioned on the page would help (though I'm not sure how to supplement with B)?

Some forum threads also say chelitis can be caused by either fungus or bacteria or both, so that would influence treatment.

http://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#2 [url]

Jun 19 12 11:41 PM

Hmm, could be early-stage cheilitis. And, yeh, can be bacterial and/or fungal/yeast. OR it can be caused by acidic foods, but usually only one piggy tends to be susceptible...unless you have two that are susceptible!!

To treat yeast/candida, I use Nystatin/Nilstat/Mycostatin which is a human oral treatment available at chemists.
To treat bacterial, sometimes a course of baytril may be needed, but usually only topical use of an antibiotic cream works wonders. If Jess were to come online, she would probably suggest colloidal silver!

The cut looks like a minor attack wound! Have the boys been having minor tiffs?

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 20 12 11:19 AM

Well it can't be acidic foods as they rarely ever get anything acidic and Rupert has never had problems in the past.

I guess I shall try the yest/candida option first. I'm having the worst luck with piggies this year.

They still teeth chatter at each other especially when they get hormonal after I have cleaned the cage and they are waiting to get food. There have been no bites on either of them otherwise.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help