Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 10 12 11:54 PM

Tags : :

Hi everyone,

last thursday i brought a gumtree free to good home piggie( named Lu-la-la) back,after i put her into the setup with my girls,then i realized she got some skin problem,so i separated her from other girls.the next day I visited Dr. Brendan, he said the piggie has lice. So we are on Fido's shampoo and revolution now.now she is still live alone by herself.
But now i got some question.

1) i saw lynlee's post that we should use Fido'S concentrate rinse,not the bunny bath shampoo for lice.but the vet gave me the shampoo now.

2) since Lu-la-la already been with my girls for more than an hour,should I
Give them a bath on fido's concentrate or thr shampoo or put on revolution just in case?

3) the vet asked me to put the revolution on Lu-la-la two week after the first dose,then another two weeks for the third dose,is that ok? Because i saw on the previous posts that revolution is for every three months.

4) Lu-la-la is very scared,i dont think she had much interaction with human before,i really want to her living with the other girls,but the vet said it take a month to recover. Is that possible to give all the girls revolution,and let them live together?

5) the vet asked me to bath the pig twice a week,is this gonna wash away the revolution?

Thank you so much for everyone.[/list]
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 11 12 5:43 AM

Hiya,

It's a bit quiet here at the moment so I'm just going to try to answer your questions as best I can. Feel free to pipe up anyone if I say the wrong thing.

1. I've used Fido's Free Itch for lice in the past. I'm not sure what the bunny bath shampoo is. Hopefully someone can give you more information on whether it's okay or not!

2. I would definitely clean out their cage, give them a bath in Fido's Free Itch and treat with Revolution after the bath just in case. (Note if that if you were dealing with mites and not lice, I would treat with Revolution first, then bath the piggies after a day. The reason for this is mites will bury themselves deeper into the skin to escape to water, which is obviously really painful for the piggies. If you use Revolution first though it will kill the mites, making bathing much more pleasant for the pig.)

3. You can give Revolution more often than every 3 months if it's required. I've had my vet recommend every 2 weeks before as well for a tough case.

4. It's best to keep new piggies quarantined for 2-3 weeks before adding them to your current pigs. This allows for any illnesses (including lice!) to show up. It's better to do that and have one sick pig rather than all of your pigs sick. I would keep Lu-la-la separate until the lice are gone. Keep an eye on your other pigs for lice too!

5. I think bathing is okay after Revolution if the Revolution has been on for 24 hours, which gives it time to dry/be absorbed. I'm not 100% on this time frame though. But, yes, if you bathe her straight after you put on Revolution I imagine it's kind of pointless. Plus as I mentioned above it gives the Revolution time to work, if you're dealing with mites rather than lice.

Jessica (& pigs).

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#2 [url]

Jun 13 12 8:08 AM

Ah, yes, never put new pigs into a herd until after quarantine of at least 3 week. I would treat high-risk pigs against coccidiosis too but hopefully brendan would have picked up on that...

Jessica got it all in her post - the fidos shampoo.is simply a pyrethrin shampoo so its fine - I prefer the rinse cos it smells nice! And I use it along with malaseb shampoo so its better than using 2 shampoos.

Lice are easy to treat. A few of my babies have developed lice this last few weeks...first sign of warm weather and my lot get a bath!

oh, and yes, you will now need to treat all the others...and the cage...

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 14 12 4:37 AM

Thank you everyone.
So should i treat all my girls with revolutions? and for how long?
How do i know the new piggie is recover from lice, cause there is nothing comes off from her skin any more.And i never see her scratch herself.
I already change all the towels in the cage, should i use any spray to clean the cage at all?

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#4 [url]

Jun 17 12 6:50 AM

Personally, I only use the revolution once each three months, but perhaps you could use it once a moth for two months, just to be sure. Any more would be overkill.

The entire area that the pigs have been will need to be treated to be totally sure - if its only lice, then spraying the enitre area with Fido's fre-itch concentrate rinse is a great way to kill any stray lice.

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help