Remove this ad

Lead

May 17 12 1:53 PM

Tags : :

I have a 3x2 "base camp" (it's basically just a corflute base) where all of their food, houses, fleece beds and toys are.
Sorry about the crappy webcam photo. I can get some nicer ones if anyone is interested in seeing everything in more detail.

I put all of their things in this area so that they won't pee/poop anywhere else in my room. They spend the majority of their time there, but as there are no grids around the cage they are free to go out at any time during the day or night. They have access to my entire room, and when myself or my mum is home we leave my door open for them to walk down the hallway. Obviously, I've made sure my room is fully piggie-proofed. My only concern is that they are so small, my parents or brother might accidentally step on them. But it hasn't happened yet.

Having them free range is great. I often sit on the floor with my laptop and Pippa comes running over to me and lays down next to me. Whenever they hear the vegetable draw open in the fridge, they come rushing out of my room to see what's going on. They're becoming so much bolder and so much friendlier. If you think that you could try free ranging, I highly recommend it! Your piggies will thank you for it
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 18 12 12:48 PM

That is so awesome!! What spoilet piggies, they must love that
Do they actually go back to their cage to pee and poop?
I would love my pigs to be free range, but my mum would kill me! Haha. Plus my bunny is free range, so I couldn't have the pigs mixing with Harry.
So jealous though Love the pretty pink cage too!

Bart - 2003-2009
BJ - 2008-2010
Kirby - 2009-2011
Sleep peacefully my boys <3

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 18 12 1:24 PM

*~*Kelly*~* wrote:
That is so awesome!! What spoilet piggies, they must love that
Do they actually go back to their cage to pee and poop?
I would love my pigs to be free range, but my mum would kill me! Haha. Plus my bunny is free range, so I couldn't have the pigs mixing with Harry.
So jealous though Love the pretty pink cage too!

Haha thanks! Yes, they love it. I feel so much better not having them trapped in a cage all day. They used to chew the bars of their C&C cage because they wanted to come out.

Well they spend 90% of their time in their "cage" but they love to explore and lay down around my room. I have seen them leave a few poops on the carpet once or twice, but they don't pee on there. They're very well litter trained.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 19 12 4:11 AM

Thats really awesome Poop is easy to pick up, so as long as they dont pee then thats great! You have polite piggies

Bart - 2003-2009
BJ - 2008-2010
Kirby - 2009-2011
Sleep peacefully my boys <3

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#4 [url]

May 19 12 9:46 AM

Wow! How awesome is that! Definitely jealous! I can't even have my pigs inside the house, sadly.

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

May 20 12 12:49 AM

Fantastic!

We have a sort of compromise solution where our piggies have a whole room, but we don't share it with them so we don't get as much interaction as you do. :-(

http://non-human.people.xeny.net

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 3 12 8:49 AM

omg that is adorable! I love that idea! I was considering doing something similar for my Megsie and Oleander but problem is my floor is carpeted lol. Not sure how that'd go down lol.

Love the fleece to!

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 3 12 10:53 AM

Yeah. We had a friend put down vinyl over the whole floor, plus she made us barriers to protect the walls and stop the piggies from escaping ... but it was a bit expensive.

http://non-human.people.xeny.net

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jun 10 12 5:50 AM

This is awesome. I want to do this.

We were semi-free range for a while, but they got under the heavy furniture and into bookcases, and did their business freely, which was hard to clean up after.

They didn't have access to their cage though. They had a basecamp -- literally, a tent, some hay and water and food.

When I couldn't do it any longer and put them back home, we all felt bad.

Will try to do it like you do when I can.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help