Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 11 12 3:26 AM

Tags : :

hello. please forgive me if this topic has been covered, though i did search for this particular issue.

i live with two senior, freewheeling boars, and for all of their years with me, they have received vit C daily, oxbow pellets and hay, and get lots of physical/mental stimulation. one of them- moo.moo- has begun to drag his left hind leg. there is absolutely nothing wrong with his foot pad, nails, appetite, thirst, et c. he lounges a bit longer as well, he's seven! seems like after he gets going for a bit, or else i nudge him to do so while cleaning their room, the dragging becomes somewhat less pronounced.

any ideas, please? arthritis?

it's just the one leg and it turned in tonight so that he stumbled- like the leg was going on backwards. a little alarming to see at first, i'll admit, save that he was chowing down and did not seem phased whatsoever by his leg.

respectfully,

belle, moo.moo, and toffee

i am on the autism spectrum [asperger], and embrace neurodiversity.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 11 12 1:21 PM

Hey
Wow 7 is a relly good age!
Is there any chance he could of broken it?
I'd take him to the Vet, it could be arthitis but I've never heard of them dragging there hind leg because of it. A vet is a must in my opoinion, while he may not be showing pain, it may very well be painful!

Bart - 2003-2009
BJ - 2008-2010
Kirby - 2009-2011
Sleep peacefully my boys <3

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 16 12 3:02 PM

moo.moo turned around for the better after i posted about his leg. i think a little towel 'ramp' helped with his sense of security entering and exiting his garden/pet taxi. though the ledge is a tiny step into and out of, he is 7 years old, and apparently, was nervous about getting caught on it. the towel-ramp goes right into his low bed, and over the 1/2 inch ledge of the pet carrier.

i think the stiffness was from not wanting to get out of his bed, but now, he goes in and out just fine- albeit, he's surely showing signs of getting older. sometimes, it's the little things, and with such small legs, a little senior-proofing makes all the difference.

thank you kindly for asking after him.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 17 12 8:06 AM

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/swimming.htm

If it's related to his back this might help strengthen his muscles, but please check with a vet or someone knowledgeable first. I've let my guinea pigs swim in an extra large cat litter tray under constant supervision (for around 10 minutes while having a bath) and they seemed fine with it, but as moo.moo has had problems with his leg, I think caution should be taken before trying this with him.

This would also help tone up those muscles that help prevent impaction problems in older boars, I think...

And 7 is a really good age!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 20 12 12:11 AM

thank you!!!

hayfever, i love the idea of swimming, so long as he does not get cold.

that would be bad- and he is running- or doing that run-hop-piggie step [lol] today.

hope you are all keeping well, and thank you for the link to peter gurney with your kind response. i love peter's information.

belle

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Mar 21 12 12:07 PM

I'd be getting the leg checked out by a Vet first so you know whats actually wrong with his leg.If its arthitis he may need some pain management.

Bart - 2003-2009
BJ - 2008-2010
Kirby - 2009-2011
Sleep peacefully my boys <3

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 22 12 5:44 AM

My feisty old bag Sugar is 8yo next month and she finds her back legs don't always go where and when she wants them to and has to work a bit harder so I usually pick her up an take her out of the snooze box and put her in the dining area, she still gets around but complains a fair bit if she's left behind, age has caused some wear and tear on her old joints but she is a feisty girl and usually gets to where she wants to go. I definately find watching her and adding soft alternatives like fleece is helpful for sure, she does have a little trouble climbing over things these days also.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 28 12 6:25 AM

Peter Gurney has a page on old age in piggies:
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/oldage.htm

He mentions Tabritis for arthritis:
http://www.tabritis.co.uk/products/tablets.aspx

I wonder if glucosamine can be taken by piggies.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 15 12 4:29 AM

I discovered another relaxing treatment for older piggies with Arthritis of stiff joints. Give the piggy a gentle wading bath for about 30mins but add EPSOM SALTS to the bath. Epsom salts helps soothe sore muscles and eases stiff joints etc while also releasing toxins from the body. I actually did one of these baths for my old girl Shiraz and she LOVED it.

They say about 30mins is the time it'll take to hav the full effects of the Epsom salts bath.

Just one thing to be cautious of. After the bath make sure the piggy has a nice meal of veggies or something with lots of fluid as the bath can dehydrate mildly but other than this it's wonderful I found Shiraz LOVED it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help