Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 21 12 4:30 AM

Tags : :

So my new guinea pigs are a bit skinny, like i can feel their hips, and was wondering what do foster carer's feed when they get very under weight guinea pigs. My guinea pigs look fine just looking at them, but then you pick them up you can sometimes feel their bones, not sure if they need more weight or if its because of how young they are. They dont really eat much and havent touched their water much, i tried putting water in a bowl but they just kick the wood shavings into it. They like moving the wood shavings into a big pile and then rest their heads on it. They eat about half a celery stick a day and about a quarter of a carrot, its just the two of them. They were born on the 20th of January i think, the lady told me that they were four weeks old when she gave them to me.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 21 12 6:51 AM

So their 4 weeks old?
Thats pretty young so they have tones to grow and fill out. Have you got a kitchen scale?Can you weigh them?
Firstly they need a lot more vegies then what you give them, but introduce it one by one incase they get runny poops. More green leafy greens, Cos, oak, fancy, endive, and deffinetly some capsicum.
Here is a good chart on vegies and fruit, have a look http://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html
Do you feed unlimited good quality hay aswell?

Bart - 2003-2009
BJ - 2008-2010
Kirby - 2009-2011
Sleep peacefully my boys <3

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 21 12 12:11 PM

*~*Kelly*~* wrote:
Firstly they need a lot more vegies then what you give them

I give them lots, they just don't eat it . They eat about half a celery to 3/4 and only 1/4 of a carrot. They LOVE tomatoes, but i cant feed that to them everyday because its acidic, they wont touch capsicum. Sorry, but i dont see why I should give them even more celery and carrot if they wont touch it? =/ Also, i thought you arent allowed to feed them cos lettuce everyday? i know they arent allowed iceberg AT ALL.

im feeding them a mix atm, but when i get paid more next week i'm gonna buy some hay and pellets from the vet, the pellets are more of a priority tho in my opinion. I would feed them fresh grass, but my neighbour walks her dog on our lawn and i park my car on there, definantly not a good combination if you ask me =P

I'll try feeding them some capsicum again tonight when we play with them. I noticed they ate much more today though, i put 2 celery sticks in this morning and both got half eaten. and half the mix is gone, usually its only a quarter, mayb they just needed to settle in some more.

Yes 4 weeks old, and both 220grams.

did you mean oat instead of oak? if not, what is it? i presume fancy and endive are just some herbs =)

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 21 12 2:00 PM

Endive is a type of Lettuce, as is Oak Lettuce.

I don't feed Cos every-day (I noticed that the Calcium deposits used to increase when feeding that).

They get CUP of lettuce each, per day. A mix of Endive, Raddichio, Butter, Oak etc etc (Everything bar Iceberg!).

Then Capsicum. I also add in things such as (I rotate, they normally get 2-3 things from this list per day)

Blueberries (2 each, 3 times a week)
Carrot (only two days a week and only a tiny piece...about a 1/4 baby carrot each, it's high in Oxalates and Vitamin A, both of which can cause issues)
Cucumber
Apple
Orange (only once a fortnight, because of the acidity level)
Perino Tomatos (they are from Coles only, they are quite sweet and they prefer them over other types)
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Coriander (A GREAT source of Vitamin C...and it's dead easy to grow in pots!)
Parsley (only when I'm using it in cooking and only a tiny amount, because of the Calcium)
Corn Husk and Silk (good for fibre and roughage!)
Celery should not fed every day...it's got very little in the way of nutrients (it's pretty much just water!) and can lead to runny poop.

Are they not getting Hay? Hay is the MOST important part of a guinea pigs diet. It's imperative for dental maintenance, is the best source of fibre and it helps with keeping things moving in their GI tract.

My Current Babies: Emma + Fizzy (aka Fizz-Wizz)
My Angel Pigs: Charlie, Caramel, Josef, Josephine + Frank
My Angel Mice: Megann, Merryll, Alyssa, Carmen, Hermione, Eryn + Samantha
My Angel Pups: Wilbur

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 21 12 3:00 PM

Theres cut up dried hay in the mix, but i dont have the storage to buy a bale, unless i risk mites. (we have a closet with the water heater in, but no lights)

Which hay is best? Lucern? Oaten? or Timothy? and where can I get them, i know theres small packets from the vet, but im not sure if it'll last long cuz its the same size as a shopping bag, mayb a bit bigger?

Seeing as tho they've been eating the celery, i take it this is why they havent been drinking?

I always thought celery and carrots were required everyday, but i'll get some lettuce for them tomorrow. so everyday MUSTS are, hay, letture mixture and pellets(havent seen anyone mention this, but im presuming so, but only the ones from the vets i take it? im presuming the ones at pet stores wont have the nutrients like the vet does)?

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 21 12 10:39 PM

Timothy is best, but it's pricey. You can feed any type of Grass Hay (try ebay!), there is a seller there who sells 5kg bags of Hay for $20 and it's fairly good quality. Chaff (what you have in the mix) doesn't really help with teeth or fibre, they need the long strands of hay for it to be beneficial. Avoid Lucerne.

Yes, that'd be why they aren't drinking a lot of water.

Oxbow Pellets are the best (because your pigs are so young, get the Performance Pellets), they only need 2-3 tablespoons each per day so a bag does go a long way with only two pigs. Unlimited Hay is a must. Then Veggies (Capsicum is a must, or if they don't like that, Coriander. They need a daily source of Vitamin C!) and then pellets.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 21 12 11:39 PM

when i get them the hay and pellets do i still feed them the mix? or just feed it till its all gone and then never again? also is hay cakes okay? i found them on http://www.oxbowaustralia.com/Catalogue%20November%202010%20-%203%20page.pdf

also, besides vitamin c, what other nutrients do they need?

sorry for all the questions, but its been awhile and i wanna make sure they get the best.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 22 12 12:23 AM

Hay Cakes are a treat only. Throw the mix out, it's not needed.

They should get all there nutrients from hay, veggies etc. Vitamin C is a little more important because they can't store it (like us, we need a daily dose of it!) so they need a fresh source (from veggies) otherwise they can end up quite ill.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 22 12 2:58 AM

went to the vet, he said carrots and celery is fine for everyday but add some diff veges now and then.

i bought timothy hay and they love it, already half of wat i put in it gone, and they are drinking the water now. they went insane when i opened the bag up xD Skizzy popcorned so fast i didnt see it.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 22 12 3:09 AM

Is he an exotic vet? Does he have special training in the care and dietary needs of guinea pigs?

Carrots are not fine for every day use. Too much Vitamin A can cause liver damage.

Read these please.
http://www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/fave.html

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 22 12 3:57 AM

Yes, he is an exotic vet, and they did do special training for guinea pigs, its one of the vets Jess suggested to me and where I got Zafron desexed, cost ALOT more than the other vet i was going to go to, but they dont know anything so the very few hundreds were well worth it.

I've bookmarked those links, still dont quite understand the nutrition chart but i'll get it eventually =P

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Feb 22 12 11:52 AM

Your piggies are going to be so spoilet being fed timothy hay!! I wish I could afford the Oxbow Timothy Hay, the pigs looove it! But a kilo bag only lasts a week on two pigs! But I have 2 bunnies aswell and now a third piggie!

I've fed Cos Lettuce every day for years with no problems, its a big favourite so I just give it to them, and I very very rarely get the calcium deposits but when I do, I stop it for a few days and start again and its fine
Keep trying with the vegies they dont like, they should eventually try it. Babies are usually quite hesitent with new vegies(They probably wern't fed much before you got them) and look to a adult piggy to see what he/she's eating and know its yummy to eat. Well in my experience anyway, so since their just two bubs, they will have to figure it out themselvs, and it will get the better of them and eat the vegies.

I think 220 grams is a okay weight, I'm not too experienced with baby weighst though. But my Bella was 220 grams at 3 weeks old if thats anything to go on?

Bart - 2003-2009
BJ - 2008-2010
Kirby - 2009-2011
Sleep peacefully my boys <3

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 22 12 12:40 PM

well the only other hay that i know ill be able to get easily is Lucern, but the vet said thats a no go because its got loose stuff in it just like the mix. tried ebay and only found oxbow stuff, unless i order from overseas, but it'll probably be off by the time it gets here and then theres the chance of pests and quaranteen, etc.

I know theres a place in rothwell where you can buy bale of hay for like $13 or close to that, but i think they only have straw or lucern, im not too sure, plus i wouldnt have anywhere to put it.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Feb 22 12 1:43 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/rs_echo/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3686

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 23 12 5:26 AM

Hi i noticed you are only at Redcliffe. You can get all your feed from jess she is not far from you.

I have four boys (two pairs) all from Jess. I have never bought oxbow its just too expensive, my boys LOVE they hay i get from Jess and its only $4 a bag.
She can also post it to you, would be much cheaper.

Also try your guys with corn. on a facebook discussion a lady commented that corn/ corn husks/ corn silks was a piggies 'cocaine' !!!!

They will love it. You can get the husks/ corn silks from post fruit and veg stores for FREE!

Katy
Radish and Little Foot
Rocky and Liam

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Feb 23 12 11:28 AM

>< i just bought it from the guy Gallia linked, $17 for 1kg. but i also bought the hay holder from him. i hope its enough to last more than a few days unlike this timothy hay i bought, the guinea pigs LOVE it to bits, but its just waay too much money.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Feb 24 12 4:18 AM

yes pigs absolutely love corn!!!!

I usually give mine it when I am in melb for the day for apts

but corn is safe and also helps with their teeth and most love it!!

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Feb 24 12 12:44 PM

corn is great for them gaining weight? AWESOME!! gonna go buy some on wednesday then for sure =D

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help