Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 2 11 8:54 AM

Tags : :

Hey, my name is Izzy. I own two guinea pigs, both female. One is the mum of the other. Anyway, the reason i joined this blog/forum was to get a bit of help. I live in Australia. I keep both of my guinea pigs outside, in the back yard. I cannot, and am not allowed to keep them inside. I was a bit worried that i am not doing something right. In all the other blogs i read, they were all kept inside the house. Am i right or wrong?

Thanks , Izzy

Izzy xx

Mummy to

1 slightly disabled bird Salute x
1 turtle Syd x
1 guinea pig Daisy x
4 fish Claireeeee, Maxiiiii, Black Beauty and Cucumber x

xxx

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 2 11 9:42 AM

Izzy All my pigs are outside. As long as they are safe warm/cool and have a healthy diet. Make sure they have plenty of shade and that their hutch is insulated. (not just tin, as acts like a oven) There is no probs. I can't have mine inside either. .. .. All the best X

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 2 11 10:08 AM

Hey Izzy!

A few other new forum members have asked this question the past week as well.

I'll put below for you two links to the discussions we had on here re pros and cons and options:

1: http://acs.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=14743&start=0

2: http://acs.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=14812&start=0

Hope this helps.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 2 11 10:51 AM

[quote]
Hey Izzy!

A few other new forum members have asked this question the past week as well.

I'll put below for you two links to the discussions we had on here re pros and cons and options:

1: http://acs.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=14743&start=0

2: http://acs.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=14812&start=0

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks! Now i feel a LOT reassured!

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 2 11 11:40 AM

Hey Izzy.

I started my boys off under a patio connected to the house, But over the last few months they have been permantly indoors.

But those threads really explain everything

Jess, your on the ball tonight

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 3 11 2:22 AM

My piggies are outside under cover on the patio. They are perfectly fine there. Also, the temperature where their cage is is always a degree or two cooler than inside our house and they usually get a breeze so that is actually one advantage for us of having them outside.

I know it would be nice to have them inside but I can see mine through the rumpus door and through the kitchen window and we are often outside because I have 2 kids.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jan 3 11 3:38 AM

Madelene I am still in shock ever time I see that picture, it is pure heaven for piggies and I am jealous, even tho I have a good C&C setup I still get jealous .

Just one thing about your outside run, do you have any birds that fly around? or something you put over the outside run playtime? as a protector from preditors? or dont you have that problem?

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jan 3 11 6:36 AM

Hi Julz,

We never seem to have anything fly over and bother the piggies in their outdoor run but I always put a huge empty QS quilt cover over their playpen so I know that they are completely safe. They prefer it with their cover on but I left it off for a pretty photo opportunity.

It also now has gutter guard mesh all around the bottom 20cm so my naughty cat can't fit her paw through! The reason why it is so tall is because we have a cat. I hadn't put it on yet in this photo.

Here is a photo of it with the cover on it. This is how it was starting to get decorated for the Pignic. It is on the ACS Facebook page with the other decorated playpens. We ended up decorating all 4 sides with the laminated pictures of flowers, butterflies, rainbows and more photos of the girls. It took days to do! My daughter coloured everything in herself and then we laminated everything, punched in holes and cable tied them to the playpen.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 3 11 6:41 AM

hey Madelene

That looks great I love the colours blue and purple, so it looks great .

I was just a bit concerned as I dont think I've ever seen a photo and I dont have Facebook anymore.

Thanks for finding a photo with the cover over

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 3 11 6:43 AM

Hey, I just edited my post. This was the unfinished version of our entry. Just go to ACS facebook - you don't need to be on Facebook to see it. Or just imagine it looking more colourful with more pictures!!!

I also changed the photo so you can see the cover better - fully covering the whole playpen.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jan 3 11 9:32 AM

Hey guys,

It seems you all have it either under the patio or a roof of some kind. Unfortuently, i don't have that? Is that terrible? My guinea pig hutch is half in the sun and half out. They often like to sit where the sun shines, but they also go and lie in the shade. Seems pretty okay, is it?

PS: Where can you see photos of other members?

Izzy xx

Mummy to

1 turtle Syd x
1 guinea pig Daisy x

xxx

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jan 3 11 9:49 AM

Hey Izzy.

For me personally, I would bring them as close as possible to the house. But that is my personal preference.

As for going away, where are you?, There are the shelters in Brisbane that board Piggies so they are not alone.

You can see other photos of members piggies in the Lair which is down the page a bit.

There are some absolute fab shots of piggies there! I just stare at some of the photos all day if I could get out of doing some housework!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jan 3 11 10:15 AM

Hi Julz,

Unfortuently I can't bring them any closer to the house, there's just no room.

I live in SA, but it doesn't matter, because my elderly grandfather will look after them. I'll make sure all is okay when we come down and visit, but he will ring us anyway if something is wrong.

Thanks for everything!

Izzy xx

Mummy to

1 turtle Syd x
1 guinea pig Daisy x

xxx

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jan 3 11 11:23 AM

Hi its me (again!).

Its night now, but tomorow when its light, i will take a photo of the guinea pig hutch, just to make sure whether you approve or not.

As Im away for a bit now, theres the risk of hot weather and not being able to bring them inside with me. So i though if it gets hot, why not put a wet towel over the hutch? Is that okay or not? Its the only option i have right now.

Izzy xx

Mummy to

1 turtle Syd x
1 guinea pig Daisy x

xxx

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jan 3 11 11:37 AM

Or another suggestion that a lot of members on the forum do Izzy is freezing some bottles full of water and wrapping a hand towel around them and putting them in the cage with the piggy, it works quite well to cope with the heat.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 4 11 12:01 AM

I would make sure that they are in complete shade and as close as possible to the house so they are around the family more.

Try using a shade cloth sail to give them more shade and make sure the cage is covered when it is raining or cold or windy. You can buy triangular shade cloth sails from Bunnings and they only cost about $30 (I've also seen them at Sam's warehouse). Just a suggestion but I think it is worth it. The hutch will heat up quickly in summer even though only part of it gets the sun and piggies can die from heatstroke.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jan 4 11 3:32 AM

Izzy if you can post a photo of the hutch that'd be great. If they absolutely have to be outdoors we can probably give some tips just by seeing a piccy.

One thing you can do on the hot days in summer is to move them completely under a shaded treed area or if there's a chance you could get a pop up gazebo or umbrella or some sort of shade top of some sort you could place this over the cage on hot days so it hits the shade cover before the cage with the piggies in it.

You would still probably have to put something like frozen water bottles in though and check on the piggies to make sure they are coping ok as some days can get pretty extreme in heat and you never know if it'll be enough or not.

oh goodness I just realised Madelene wrote the same thing lol....Madelene we seem to be doubling up on posts a bit lately hehe you piggy guru you!

Jess

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 4 11 3:51 AM

ok, so i got the photos, now how do i upload them?

Izzy xx

Mummy to

1 turtle Syd x
1 guinea pig Daisy x

xxx

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jan 4 11 4:43 AM

this is in the morning

and this is during the day