Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Dec 27 10 9:32 AM

oh yes Manuka Honey is fantastic for use in piggies!

Also I forgot Oatmeal shampoos or Oatmeal soaks for piggies with dry skin. Works wonders!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

PansyGirl

#23 [url]

Dec 27 10 10:14 AM

Jess, what sort of Oatmeal shampoos/soaks do you use?

Jeni

“Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength” - St Francis de Sales

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Dec 27 10 10:33 AM

Hey Jeni...it's kind of like what Lindsay used to do to treat fungal on some of the piggies...well not treat it but soothe the skin. She actually I 'think' mixed oats as in porridge oats with Manuka Honey and would smither it over the bald areas....hold on here's the thread whereby Lindsey did a soak with oats and looks like she also used Neem oil (there's another for the list lol_...

http://acs.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=10664&start=0

But I can imagine Manuka honey watered down with oats used as a soak would be good to.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Dec 27 10 10:34 AM

I generally use an oatmeal and aloe vera shampoo on my piggies nowdays and then pop on some organic leave in moisturiser after the bath....Megsie had this treatment before Xmas lighting the other day hehe.

Quote    Reply   

pigsforlife

#26 [url]

Dec 27 10 10:39 AM

The website below has some really brilliant products (mainly for skin conditions but they also have ointments for sore feet etc as well as general shampoos), some of which would be beneficial to have on hand. http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/

Buttercup - March 2007 - August 2008
Toffee - June 2007 - December 2010

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Dec 27 10 11:40 AM

Hey Jess, Have you got any Ivomec that I could buy off you for my GP First aid kit? plus revolution? I've just run out from doing the last one on my 2 boys.

Also, I was wondering should I get all types of syringes? or only the ones specifically mentioned in the first post?

Also: Is Fido's Fre-Itch the best prevention for a spray for mites?

Quote    Reply   

pigsforlife

#28 [url]

Dec 27 10 11:51 AM

Personally I only ever use the 1ml syringe - even when feeding CC.

Fido's works well for mites. In which case you probably don't need Revolution as I would imagine revolution and Fido's would do a similar job (treat external mites).

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Dec 27 10 11:57 AM

Hey

What about for in between treatments if you see the one scratch or itch? would that be anything worth worrying about? but.... what do you do if they are scratching 2 - 4 times a day even tho you have put revolution on them?

I am just trying to think of senario's that might happen in between major treatments.

Quote    Reply   

PansyGirl

#30 [url]

Dec 27 10 1:11 PM

pigsforlife wrote:

Fido's works well for mites. In which case you probably don't need Revolution as I would imagine revolution and Fido's would do a similar job (treat external mites).

Revolution (or Ivomec) treats internal parasites, while Fidos Concentrate treats the external ones.

I use the 5ml syringes for feeding Critical Care. It doesn't take as long to 'reload' when you have an impatient/hungry or just plain difficult pig in front of you

Jeni

“Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength” - St Francis de Sales

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

pigsforlife

#31 [url]

Dec 27 10 1:19 PM

PansyGirl wrote:
pigsforlife wrote:

Revolution (or Ivomec) treats internal parasites, while Fidos Concentrate treats the external ones.

I use the 5ml syringes for feeding Critical Care. It doesn't take as long to 'reload' when you have an impatient/hungry or just plain difficult pig in front of you

Jeni

Ah see I was told Revolution was for external parasites. Thanks for clearing it up.

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Dec 27 10 1:28 PM

Thank you both for those extra pieces of advice/news

I think I will be here for many many years, and still learning 10+ years down the track, with testing and clinical studies being done,

I think that the people who make the medicines of today will get so much better.

Plus I have never had one regret from joining the forums, everyone has been so kind, understanding, really informative and I have made a lot of friends throughout the forums.

I just want to extend a big thank you for everyone's support and advice since joining

One day I really imagine myself having the knowledge and abilities of someone like Jess. She is a true inspiration in person. Plus I have met Donna and Rach aswell, and their passion and drive for these piggies is so rewarding to see.

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#33 [url]

Dec 27 10 9:46 PM

Revolution AND Ivomec both treat BLOODSUCKING and PARASITIC internal AND external bugs - that is, mange mites, worms etc.
Fido's treats NON-BLOODSUCKING external bugs - such as lice. It will also treat external bloodsucking bugs such as mange mites, but many of these actually burrow into the skin so the Fido's doesn't get to most of them...

Pigs scratch - doesn't mean they have any bugs...and one thing you don't want to do is overmedicate - if you treat your pigs too often for mites etc, then you can potentialy be breeding up a strain of mites that become resistant to the Revolution or Ivomec...Inital treatment for quarantine pigs (newcomers!) is a single dose of revolution, repeated every 3 months or so OR a weekly dose of Ivomec for a few weeks, then dose every 2-3 months as preventative.

WHenever I wash my pigs, they get some sort of preventative treatment. I only bath them every 2-3 months, and the first time I'll use Fido's -first a little of the Fido's shampoo, then the rinse - as prevenative against lice, then the next time I use Malaseb as treatment against possible fungal.

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   

pigsforlife

#34 [url]

Dec 27 10 11:35 PM

See that is another thing different. The folk on GL suggested they can be treated with revolution every 30 days.

When there are so many contradictive views out there it makes it incredibly confusing.

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#35 [url]

Dec 27 10 11:43 PM

Some schools of thought, such as those on Guinea Lynx, are that you should get rid of the bugs all together... And I think you can safely use Revolution every 30 days but it is pointless.

When you treat for mites, you will kill all the susceptible mites - but there will be a few that are resistant to the treatment. So, if you treat every 30 days, then you are killing off all mites except the resistant ones - then those resistant ones will get together and breed, creating a while new generation of treatment-resistant mites.

You are better to allow a little bit of mite-"infestation" in your piggers, so that there are always some level of treatment-susceptibility in the mite population, and then you don't breed up some super-bug. Treating every 3 months is adequate to keep mites in control while still ensuring the good health of your piggers!

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#36 [url]

Dec 27 10 11:45 PM

ps. this is all coming from the scientist in me - I've spent many years working on things like antibiotic resistance in animals and herbicide resistance in plants - I lectured at Deakin University about herbicide resistance so am well-versed in the issues, I guess!!

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Dec 28 10 1:00 AM

Oh Lynlee,

another for your list.

Clove Oil - very good for fungal particularly on the ears. Clears up within only a couple of uses. Warning though for Clove oil can burn if not diluted well and it can also be used as a numbing agent hence the diluted rate. I usually dip a cotton bud tip in water and then place one drop of clove oil on the tip. Barbara one of our foster carers told me about her use of Clove oil and used it on her foster piggies with good success. I have since done the same. Barb has done alot of studies in natural treatments. So yeah works very well. I personally only use it on piggy fungal ears as naturally you wouldn't want the guinea pig being able to lick it but it is effective.

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#39 [url]

Dec 28 10 4:13 AM

I think I'll add clove oil to the herbals list (things like Aloe vera and Paw Paw will go on that list too!)

Still working on the herbal list....

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Dec 28 10 9:05 AM

yeah I was thinking that to Lynlee...oh another idea if it helps maybe you could call that list 'Natural treatments' and then have a sub heading for 'herbal' and then 'other'?

This list is looking awesome! Thanks for this fantastic thread Lynlee.

Lavender can be used as a fungal treatment to...I've never used it but know it can be used.

Jess

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help