Remove this ad

chuffnut

Site Admin

Lead

Dec 21 10 11:20 PM

Tags : :

By popular request - admin, can this be made a sticky?

General Health products:
* Ivomec
* Revolution
* Malaseb or Triocil (anti-fungal/anti-bacterial shampoos)
* Fido’s Fre-itch Concentrate
* Paw Paw Ointment –(for general irritations, dry skin and sore/infected feet)
* Aloe Vera Gel ( Wounds and dry skin related conditions )

* Nail clippers
* Good brushes for long-hairs
* tweezers ( in case of something getting lodged in the eye e.g. splinter off hay ).
* scissors
* Disposable Gloves
* Cotton Buds

Emergency items:
* 1ml syringes (for administering medications)
* 5ml Syringes (for administering things such as Paraffin, charcoal, vitamin C)
* 15 or 20ml syringes (to administer CC to smaller piggies)
* 50ml syringe (to administer CC to larger piggers)

* Vitamin C Tablets 100mg Chewables (sugar free)
* Rehydration Fluids (Vitrate, Hydrolate, Gastrolyte)
* Probiotic Powder (protexin, Inner Helath Plus – dairy free, other suitable probiotic but do be careful as some bacteria are not suitable for piggers)
* Baycox Coccidiostat for piglets (to treat coccidiosis - mostly applicable to rescue shelters)
* antibiotics - PRESCRIPTION ONLY - Baytril (Enrofloxacin), Bactrim/Tribrissen (SMZ-TMP; trimethoprim sulfa; sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim, Septra), Flagyl (Metronidazole ), Doxycycline (Vibramycin, Vibravet)
* Nilstat/Nystatin/Mycostatin ( for treatment of oral thrush/candida and cheilitis caused by yeast/candida infection)
* antibiotic/antibacterial cream eg. neosporin or SSD - silver sulfadiazine (to treat bacterial cheilitis)

* Critical Care Sachet
* Betadine liquid
* Ear Drops ( Surolan or other suitable )
* Eye Drops (Optrex is recommended)
* Eye ointment (containing steroids is OK for irritated eyes but NOT for eyes where the cornea is damaged)
* Panalog Ointment - Highly effective for short term use for fungal conditions and general wounds)
* Painkillers ( metacam - only avail with vet appt)
* Charcoal ( for poisoning and bloat – to be crushed and mixed with water, fed orally – use sparingly if you are also administering medications as charcoal will absorb active ingredients in these,
also will reduce nutrient uptake so always give charcoal at least 1-2 hours after medications and Critical Care and 2-3 hours before the next medication doses are due).
* Mylanta for diarreagh
* Paraffin for constipation
* Colloidal Silver ( All round use as a supplement to treat any sort of medical condition. Can be given orally or externally. Very effective as a supplement given orally for mouth infections )
* Infacol or De-Gas ( to treat bloat/excess gas )
* sterile saline ( salt water ) ampoules/vials/tubes ( brilliant for flushing wounds, eyes, abcesses, bumble-foot and other infections )

* Alchohol wipes/swabs – eg. to sterlilize injection sites

Other options:
* nonstick dressings such as melolin
* conforming bandages
* surgical tape
* Puppy training pads (Disposable and padded - good for medical pigs)

* Some herbal supplements that can be stored (MIGHT START A STICKY WITH A LIST OF HERBAL PRODUCTS)

For the really keen self-professed guinea pig medic!!!:
* 15 or 20ml syringes (for draining abscesses and administering injectable subcutaneous fluids)
* 25 gauge needles (for administering injectable medications or fluids to small piggers)
* 22 gauge needles (for administering fluids to larger piggers)
* 18 or 20 gauge needles (for draining abscesses)
* 1ml glass syringe (if you can get one – fantastic for hand-feeding orphans)

* Wombaroo Guinea Pig Milk Replacement OR Divetalac OR Digestalac (for orphaned or supplement feeding pups)
* Injectable Sodium Chloride (short-term rehydration) and/or sodium lactate (long-term rehydration)
* Injectable Vitamin C (for critical patients who cannot be syringe-fed adequate vitamin C in a hurry)

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Dec 21 10 11:37 PM

Lynlee is it cool if I add to your list? I'll put my extras here so you can slot them in where fits best:

- Puppy training pads (Disposable and padded - good for medical pigs)

- Panalog Ointment - Highly effective for short term use for fungal conditions and general wounds)

Natural Remedies:

- Aloe Vera Gel ( Wounds and dry skin related conditions )

- Paw Paw ointment ( foot infections and dry skin )

- Colloidal Silver ( All round use as a supplement to treat any sort of medical condition. Can be given orally or externally. Very effective as a supplement given orally for mouth infections )

will add more later....gotta go get dressed shelter opens in 40mins eek!

Jess

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#7 [url]

Dec 21 10 11:46 PM

Yup! Done, Jess....the plan is to simply add to the list whenever folks make suggestions. I'll keep to different categories as not everyone will want all the producs - eg. not everyone will want to administer subcut fluids for example.

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-
There are 1000's of homeless guinea pigs in rescue shelters all across Australia that NEED YOU!!

Quote    Reply   

simone

#10 [url]

Dec 23 10 11:13 AM

Great list

~ Eureka Cavies ACS Ballarat~

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

pigsforlife

#12 [url]

Dec 24 10 12:04 PM

Here is another first aid kit. http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/medical-veterinary/46533-piggy-medicine-cabinet.html

There might be some things on it that can be added to the ACS list.

Buttercup - March 2007 - August 2008
Toffee - June 2007 - December 2010

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Dec 24 10 12:21 PM

I am aiming to get this medical kit, I strive to look after my piggies as best as i can.

got the fre-itch, revolution, Malaseb but I need to get the Ivomec.

I need to get the nail clippers and a every day brush, ive got one that is for mites and ticks, but need a daily brush.

I am just over the moon about this post/thread. It's going to be my lifesaver for my boys if they get into trouble.

To everyone who has contributed to this thread thank you from the top to the bottom of my heart.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Dec 26 10 1:13 AM

Thanks for the comprehensive list, Lynlee. I'll also be shopping for the items on it.

It wasn't easy to come up with suggestions, but what about saline tubes? Saline's easy to make at home, of course, but being able to squirt it out of a tube is fantastic for washing hay out of eyes. Plus it's good for washing out wounds.

I bought an "Ear Syringe 60ml Medium Surgipack" for my kit. Not sure what to use it for yet with guinea pigs -- maybe to blow hay from an eye, or to *gently* suck up ear muck, but in the meant time it's great for blowing dust off camera lens to take photos of them.

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#17 [url]

Dec 26 10 8:48 AM

Keep those suggestions coming in, guys!!!

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

chuffnut

#19 [url]

Dec 26 10 9:56 AM

LOL totally forgot the Baycox!!! I still haven't had a chance to go through my own medical cupboards to check!!!

-=[[ Lynlee ]]=-

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Dec 27 10 9:31 AM

This is a guinea pig medicine kit list from a site based in Ireland so some of the medications probably can't be found here. It also has a list of natural remedies (including my favourite, corn silk).

http://guineapigcottage.webs.com/guineapigemergencies.htm

Manuka honey would be useful as a natural remedy, but probably not necessary in a first aid kit.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help