Remove this ad

#161 [url]

Nov 16 10 2:25 AM

Yeah very good point.Hopefully with some friendly adice she'll listen.In my email I just told her that the cage is much to small for rabbits and pigs and that I'd suggest that she changes the tittle for at least just rats otherwise someone might put there rabbits or pigs in there it's not nice for them.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#162 [url]

Nov 16 10 3:31 AM

As much as a advice email would have been a great idea. I still look at the situation of cage and the animals in it and put some responsibility to the owner (and also the pet shop for selling it) in this day and age where google is easy to access and she obviously has that option since she has 2 pages worth of goods for sale. Doesnt it make her slightly negligent she hadnt looked up info about these animals?

I think of the time before the net when we went to the library and every book aabout guinea pigs were from the 1950s and not the best in info compared to now where that information is so acessable, and yes it is not all good. But when we were looking around for info finding Cavy/ GP ssites we found lots and although info was differnet the basics like care, housing with a rabbit, wire floors was all the same.

"Not knowing or the pet shops told me it was ok" doesnt have the weight it probably use it when info is now so easy to access.

Thats my opinion... if she was looking for a new TV i bet she would have looked at all the different types, prices and care and i think if she had looked up rabbit or GP care she would have never put that photo on the net or advertised it as a rabbit cage.

Hopefully she never used it and it was just for display, i guess we dont know, but for me ignornace doesnt always cut it especially if you access to the info or know and dont listen.

*Kris*
Our piggie Ben, Dex and Rosie, Arj and Ella

Quote    Reply   

pigsforlife

#164 [url]

Nov 16 10 3:38 AM

The thing is soooo many sites still display inaccurate information. There are many perceptions on the internet which are incorrect - the size of cages being one. GPs are considered disposable pets, they aren't considered to have much "worth" in comparison with a dog or a cat. Sure she should have researched first, but many don't because of this very reason.

I sure didn't. I had the internet at my fingertips too. I thought it was "normal" and the right thing to do to get one pig from a petstore and stick them outside in a hutch that was too small for one let alone the other 2 I later added to it. Does that make me a bad person? I dont think so. I was ignorant, and whilst I should have done my research - like most I didnt. When you stumble upon sites like ACS, your eyes are truly opened up and it wasn't long after I joined that the pigs came inside in a big C&C.

A concise email pointing the person in the right direction for information (sites like guinealynx, guineapigcages and acs) would have been more beneficial than jumping on them and calling names. And I agree with Shiralee, whilst it doesn't look great from the photo - we know nothing else about this lady. Nothing at all. You can't judge someone based on one photo, even if the size is absolutely appalling and a guinea pig is in with a rabbit.

Buttercup - March 2007 - August 2008
Toffee - June 2007 - December 2010

~Ash~

Quote    Reply   

#165 [url]

Nov 16 10 4:05 AM

I am not saying it makes you or anyone else a bad person for listening to the pet shop or not knowing (we have all be there some point in our lives) and yes we dont know anything else but where does the responsibility of being a pet owner lie? and what makes a good pet owner?

So many animals would be considered treated inhumanily and the person just might of not known. Maybe a good owner is love? food? water? clean cage? or anything?

ETA:
Im sorry-
I think i have taken this to heart so much for the wrong reasons.

*Kris*

Quote    Reply   

#166 [url]

Nov 16 10 4:28 AM

Ok my personal opinion is that we as human beings for the 'rights' of these animals always should be able to have a voice and opinion especially since we know better through what we have learned.

I do agree this person should have been approached and do agree the animals are not being kept appropriately so I think this thread is very valid overall and spot on. Whether we don't know the story or not at the end of the day the fact remains that by pure visibility through the photos these animals are not being kept in an appropriate size enclosure.

The only thing I can advice when we voice our opinions to the advertisers is to think 'smart'.
My favourite tips:

1. Before emailing read the email to yourself or read it to yourself and think of how you would react to it.

2. Always try to keep emotion out of it because if advertisers sense this they'll often react not as desired so keeping a professional approach and diplomatic approach is always best.

3. Using the 'ive been their' scenario works very well. Even if untrue if you say you've been their immediately someone will feel you've been in their shoes at some point....e.g. using an example for instance if someone has a small cage could be 'I just wanted to give the heads up on something I've learned myself and where I learnt it from and would like to offer this info to you to do with as you please'...and then go on say your experience as to why petshops are misleading etc and then shoot them some links to places you'd recommend and why...

Just being on their level can help a heap.

So these are my three best tips I guess. I am not on a 'side' and I don't think their should be 'sides' to this thread. I think this ad definitely was worth bringing up and can be a good way for us to now discuss to others here, through our experience, the best ways we as shelter managers and volunteers have found to approach them so that other members on the boards here can use these tools if they wish as well.

Don't get me wrong though sometimes even using the most professional of email methods you still can get slandered.

If you haven't already read it have a read of Alina's quote in quote of the day....it's perfect in this scenario. Sadly in this line of work as aweful as it is we have to expect some slandering back from people as we are so so passionate about what we do and when you are strong in something and passionate about it their will always be others who simply don't get it and don't want to. I still deal with slandering etc as a shelter manager it is rare but happens. Nowdays I try to just ignore it it used to really get to me bus I realise not everyone gets what we do or why...and it's the same when you're approaching ads sadly.

Jess

Quote    Reply   

#167 [url]

Nov 17 10 12:08 AM

Guys OMG look what I just found on Ebay! Total accident!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RABBIT-GUINEA-PIG-CAGE-3-STOREY-/250726542797?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3a60776dcd

Its the bun and piggy cage! But not the bun and piggy.

Quote    Reply   

#169 [url]

Nov 20 10 3:42 AM

She changed the pic to take out the animals.
http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/c-Pets-pet-supplies-pet-products-3-STOREY-RABBIT-GUINEA-PIG-CAGE-W0QQAdIdZ242170218

*Kris*

Quote    Reply   

#170 [url]

Nov 28 10 9:33 AM

OK thought everyone would like to see this. The lady with the rabbit and guinea pig is selling them
http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/c-Pets-other-pets-Lop-Black-Rabbit-And-White-Guine-Pig-With-Cage-RRP-300-W0QQAdIdZ245098113

*Kris*

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#171 [url]

Nov 28 10 10:16 AM

team_merritt wrote:
OK thought everyone would like to see this. The lady with the rabbit and guinea pig is selling them
http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/c-Pets-other-pets-Lop-Black-Rabbit-And-White-Guine-Pig-With-Cage-RRP-300-W0QQAdIdZ245098113

that hosuing is horrible, the levels are no good for the piggy! all that wire and no room to move, i wouldnt even keep rats in that cage

Bonnie, mum to
~many beautiful rescued piggies,dogs,cats and ratties~

Quote    Reply   

#172 [url]

Nov 28 10 10:50 AM

And worse thing was when she 1st advertised it i and other members emailed her asking if they were available to adopt and she said no she was keeping them... I would have adopted them and had the male as a friend from Ben

Now 1 month later she has them for sale too...

*Kris*

Quote    Reply   

#173 [url]

Dec 7 10 8:25 AM

Eeek some hutches and a 'deal' on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Guinea-Pig-Hutches-/140487561580?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item20b5b6116c

They're all metal these could absolutely toast piggies in summer!

Quote    Reply   

#175 [url]

Dec 7 10 9:19 AM

Be handy if you lived in Peru, wouldn't have to worry about a BBQ (sorry tasteless I know)
I saw another one today that looked like a possum box, but was a rabbit/guinea pig hutch

Boo & The Piggy St Massive

Quote    Reply   

#176 [url]

Dec 7 10 10:50 AM

omg Margot you have some interesting jokes lol.

I'm going to report this auction on Ebay as you're not allowed to sell live animals on Ebay but yeah just wanted to share the shock find so to speak first.

Wondering if it's worth emailing the seller some wire base cage info and re the metal just for information purposes for him to choose what he wants to do with?

Quote    Reply   

#177 [url]

Dec 7 10 11:35 PM

Just looked at it Jess and it's been removed.

Sorry bout my joke. You'd never want to use that in summer, imagine how hot they'd get, they wouldn't stand a chance.

Quote    Reply   

#178 [url]

Dec 8 10 4:44 AM

http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Pets-pet-supplies-pet-products-Small-pet-cage-guinea-pig-cage-rat-cage-rabbit-cage-W0QQAdIdZ243012095

http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Pets-pet-supplies-pet-products-Pet-cage-rabbit-cage-guinea-pig-cage-Large-cage-W0QQAdIdZ243011041

Prime examples of how NOT to house your guinea pigs. One of them looks like a cat trap.

Quote    Reply   

#179 [url]

Dec 8 10 4:50 AM

oh no....goodness me their are some shockers out their. I think these two particular ones are some of those really old make ones. Around 15yrs ago they had these shocking small metal cages all over the market I'll never forget them. All metal about 80cm long with a metal tray underneath and wire base. Thank goodness I am pretty sure I've seen none around nowdays. Cages have definitely improved hugely over the years in design,size and quality and it's awesome to see...just wish they'd pull any like this off the market for good I know there's still a few around and people buy them because they're often cheaper than the proper size and type cages they have in store.

Quote    Reply   

Bindipiggy

#180 [url]

Jun 4 11 11:19 PM

Tiny cages i agree are not good for guinea pigs and also cages which have chicken wire bottom, they're just going to end up getting sore feet such as bumblefoot etc. It terrible what people do to guinea pigs sometimes. .

Clare:)

I love piggies sooooo much!! :)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help